So many reefers always looking for praise…

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
others have stated this is more a general social media issue, it's sad that some one would use animals of any kind just for likes.

Reef2Reef is my only social media, bottom line is I do this for me and my likes only. if i have questions this is the first place I go. and if someone else has a question that I know the answer to I'm more than happy to share the knowledge.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean whats wrong with wanting to share your success failures? Isn't that exactly what this forum is for? If you fail, you get help and advice from people. Also I don't have local reefers around me, so this forum is my only place to share what I've accomplished. I don't see whats wrong with wanting to share that and possibly get praise? If I've worked hard, which I have and people see it and like it, yes it makes me feel good, in this crap world where people are so mean to one another, having a little praise in your life is a good thing.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very toxic!! I have found myself trolling Quora lately though. I don’t post or join but there are some funny things. I believe social media has been the #1 contributing factor to our downfall as a society! Not some old man rant either. It’s annoying how screwed up the younger generations are because of SM. I don’t get how some of these idiots get rich on it and why they become famous for nothing. No one has the b@!!s to talk face to face anymore and these cowards feel free to say whatever trash they feel like behind a phone or computer. butt whoopins need to come back into fashion and maybe people will respect each other again. Idk what’s worse posting toxic comments and posts or others reading the comments or posts about them and letting them effect their lives. Go outside and talk to each other, go to church, go get dirty hiking and camping. Get off the phone and live life. It’s sad how addictive SM is for some
I don’t post for the comments I could care less I just do it cause my wife and kids and friends are tired of me talking about it and I like sharing with others who share the same passion.
End of rant…for now
I can not disagree one bit. I’m an extremely opinionated person and engaged to the point where I was constantly being reported (funny how I was accused of being thin skinned but never blocked or reported anyone). Both FB AND Twitter made it to where I couldn’t get back on (IP addresses are a funny thing) so I took at as an out. Now I just face to face troll. After I was banned it very quickly became apparent that SM is a huge waste of time and waaaaay too toxic. From that point I decided to just stay away from all and I mean all social platforms. I was very reluctant to join R2R but came to find out that the mediators are on top of things. I had one incident here with someone who was just trolling and sucked the old me into a crap show. Luckily that thread was locked down and people including myself we dealt with. Now I just won’t engage because I don’t wanna run the risk of being banned from a great information forum. I’m just happy that I don’t have to read anymore negative comments and boy are they out there. I’ll just stick to watchin my lil piece on the ocean and be happy. Society has taken a nose dive and it’s horrible. Hopefully the ship can be righted. Any who, I’ve seen you around here n there and appreciate your input and wit. Stay safe brother and be happy! Old man rant done lol.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might just be me but since I joined this hobby I get the impression that many people are in this hobby simply to get praised and to be put on a pedestal. I’m not talking about the ones who share their passion for the hobby, giving/taking advice, etc. I’m talking about the ones who do not care about the well being of their fish, corals, or whatever forms of life they buy just so they can be praised by others on social media. I feel like so many people just use this hobby as a way to flaunt like they have money. By having the latest and most expensive equipment, corals, fish etc. Regardless if they’ve done any research on it. They do it because it’s the newest fad…for likes and comments. I saw one guy the other day flaunting an octopus on his social media he just got mixing it with clearly non compatible organisms. It was a clear disaster in the making. I feel like people don’t care about the organism anymore as much as they do as the likes and comments they get on their social media of their picture perfect tanks. No one is original anymore…
I don't see it, maybe you are on the wrong forums? I think most people want praise for doing a good job.

Sure there are folks who like to show off their new whatever, whether it is a car, boat, house, pretty invertebrate, but I feel that most aren't flaunting it.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do what I did a couple years ago and close all of your social media accounts, now I don’t miss them.

Concerning showing off expensive gear who cares? All of us have different incomes and lifestyles.

I agree on the animals
Did the same about 5 years ago.
Now i find myself on R2R all day instead of facebook lol.

Yes facebook. Never crossed the insta-line. I was out before it was the new thing.

I 100% believe that tiktok crap is going to end humanity.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my mind there is a distinct difference between someone posting about their coral/system because it is doing well or there is an item of interest (something that others can appreciate/learn from)...and someone posting with the intent of drawing attention to themselves via their acquisitions (manufactured or biological). IMO, the focus of a reef aquarium should be on the system and it's inhabitants...not on the 'Man behind the mirror' (so to speak).

Last edited:

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget that every new "fad" is the next "fad" that's gonna ruin society. TV, the internet, rock and roll, jazz, wearing slacks, etc. I'm getting older and it's arrogant of me to expect younger generations to think exactly the same, nor want to.
I don't see an issue with showing Reef2reef success. If not here, then where?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
925CFB17-35E5-4978-94A4-E7296179A592.jpeg

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in the Lounge area and got no response. I was wondering if I am wrong for this way of thinking. I apologize if this is off topic but I am not looking for anything special but a response of appreciation and knowing that I helped with a problem someone is having. How do you all feel about this? Am I looking for praise? or just getting senile in my retirement, lol ?

Forum Etiquette;
I really like helping others when they have questions. Most people here respond with a thank you or more questions which is all fine. Just recently someone had a question about a coral they have. I wasn't sure so I googled it and found a good answer within a couple minutes, it was that easy and knowing they could have done the same I did not hesitate to help. But this one individual did not acknowledge my help or the answer another person here gave. Why ask questions if you cannot give a simple thank you to the help you are given. It kind of sours me and makes me less inclined to help new reefers here. That is one of the little benefits I (we) get when helping someone is just a simple thank you. That's all I have on my mind. Thank You to all the members here that go out of their way to help others, it certainly means a lot to me. Take care and stay safe.

Quote Reply

Last edited:

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean whats wrong with wanting to share your success failures? Isn't that exactly what this forum is for? If you fail, you get help and advice from people. Also I don't have local reefers around me, so this forum is my only place to share what I've accomplished. I don't see whats wrong with wanting to share that and possibly get praise? If I've worked hard, which I have and people see it and like it, yes it makes me feel good, in this crap world where people are so mean to one another, having a little praise in your life is a good thing.
To your point..i dont think anything is wrong with sharing success and failures. That is what communities, friends and groups do. It becomes a problem when you define your self worth by people's acceptance of your success and failure and what you are willing to do and how far you are willing to go to score a reaction to self validate. When people stop receiving praise and recognition for the good things...too often, the attention starved toddler comes out and does things they shouldn't just so mommy and daddy will give attention, be it positive or negative.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in the Lounge area and got no response. I was wondering if I am wrong for this way of thinking. I apologize if this is off topic but I am not looking for anything special but a response of appreciation and knowing that I helped with a problem someone is having. How do you all feel about this? Am I looking for praise? or just getting senile in my retirement, lol ?

Forum Etiquette;
I really like helping others when they have questions. Most people here respond with a thank you or more questions which is all fine. Just recently someone had a question about a coral they have. I wasn't sure so I googled it and found a good answer within a couple minutes, it was that easy and knowing they could have done the same I did not hesitate to help. But this one individual did not acknowledge my help or the answer another person here gave. Why ask questions if you cannot give a simple thank you to the help you are given. It kind of sours me and makes me less inclined to help new reefers here. That is one of the little benefits I (we) get when helping someone is just a simple thank you. That's all I have on my mind. Thank You to all the members here that go out of their way to help others, it certainly means a lot to me. Take care and stay safe.

Quote Reply
although I am in high agreement with you, someone put this into a different perspective for me a few years ago when I got upset that someone did not thank me for holding the door for them. She said that I did not hold the door open for the praise or recognition, but because it was the polite and civil thing to do. Normally, I would have said something along the lines of 'Well, Blank you very much too' in some under my breath snide comment. Now I just hold the door regardless of reward...why...because it is the right and polite and civil thing to do that makes me feel good(er) about myself.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are way more non-reefers on Instagram and Tiktok than there are reefers. It's the social media age.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
although I am in high agreement with you, someone put this into a different perspective for me a few years ago when I got upset that someone did not thank me for holding the door for them. She said that I did not hold the door open for the praise or recognition, but because it was the polite and civil thing to do. Normally, I would have said something along the lines of 'Well, Blank you very much too' in some under my breath snide comment. Now I just hold the door regardless of reward...why...because it is the right and polite and civil thing to do that makes me feel good(er) about myself.
I don't think I ever come across someone not thanking me for holding the door open for them and I don't care if they thank me or not, that is not why I do it and also they did not ask for help, if they did it would be different. This person asked for help and should have responded in kind with a thank you. If you are not going to show courtesy to someone helping you when you ask for it, don't ask for help. That is how I feel, in this situation I think it is rude not to thank the person responding to a request for help. Also it would be nice to know if I was any help at all. Thank you for your thoughts.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey DanDman why the sad face? I try my best not to hurt anyone's feelings but sometimes it happens and I apologize if I hurt someone.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just help to be helpful and move on.
Yes I know, like I said most people that ask for help at least respond with something. But not a word from them is odd. I know there is the odd individual that lacks common courtesy and it is sad for them, they will never know true happiness. I am always happy to help someone in need without expecting a thanks or anything, it was the way I was raised to help anyone in need and not ask for anything in return. I will always move on, I didn't survive several near death events to be hateful. Thank you.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Praise, we like to share our hard work that no one else really gets to see. I could care less what you or anyone else thinks about my tank . If you built a car or truck from the ground up you would understand.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back