So much white stuff and clouds

ReeferHolland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank 3 days ago, with the salt water first, then the rocks and sand.
So the first 3 days I couldn't see anything, not even the first cm into the water. Today it started clearing up a little bit so the rocks became a little visible. But the rocks are completely covered in white dust. Also the sump, equipment and the glass is completely covered in white dust.
Is this something to worry about? When I blow something off with a coral feeder, it blows up the whole tank again and takes hours to clear up just that extra bit of dust.
Im only running my return pump because the wavemaker makes it worse.

Should I do anything about it? And if so, what?

16657525222076711788654053149545.jpg 16657525441837032281538784862279.jpg

FishPureLuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn all of your pumps and wavemakers on, and keep changing your filter floss/filter sock. Keep blowing everything off. Your filter will eventually get it all.

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you rinse your sand before adding it to the tank?

Did you mix your saltwater in a separate bucket before adding? Or did you mix it in the tank?

OP
OP
R

ReeferHolland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you mix your saltwater in a separate bucket before adding? Or did you mix it in the tank?
I did not rinse. I use caribsea ocean direct mixed with half a bag of caribsea special grade.
I mixed it in the tank. Not in a seperate bucket. Because that would take like 5 days before its completely filled

OP
OP
R

ReeferHolland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did not rinse. I use caribsea ocean direct mixed with half a bag of caribsea special grade.
I mixed it in the tank. Not in a seperate bucket. Because that would take like 5 days before its completely
Turn all of your pumps and wavemakers on, and keep changing your filter floss/filter sock. Keep blowing everything off. Your filter will eventually get it all.
So I should remove the stuff from my filter and keep putting back the filters? But I saw the brstv recommendation to NOT add any type of filtration during the cycle.

FishPureLuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed it in the tank. Not in a seperate bucket. Because that would take like 5 days before its completely

So I should remove the stuff from my filter and keep putting back the filters? But I saw the brstv recommendation to NOT add any type of filtration during the cycle.
You probably shouldn't have mixed in the tank, but too late now. Not a huge deal. I'd only run filter floss or a sock. Your cycle is useless if you can see anything due to silt. Mixing the salt in tank will cause it to be cloudy and not rinsing the sand will definitely cause it to be cloudy. It'll be clear in a day or so, you just need to have every pump/powerhead running like you would after it is cycled. If you don't, as soon as you fire them up, it'll be silty again.

OP
OP
R

ReeferHolland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably shouldn't have mixed in the tank, but too late now. Not a huge deal. I'd only run filter floss or a sock. Your cycle is useless if you can see anything due to silt. Mixing the salt in tank will cause it to be cloudy and not rinsing the sand will definitely cause it to be cloudy. It'll be clear in a day or so, you just need to have every pump/powerhead running like you would after it is cycled. If you don't, as soon as you fire them up, it'll be silty again.
Thanks, I understand.
But what exactly do you mean with:
Your cycle is useless if you can see anything due to silt.

Is my cycle worthless now? Or you mean the opposite because its cloudy my cycle is not worthless?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing salt in a new setup is perfectly fine. What you should have done differently is rinse your sand thoroughly before use. I

Jjmg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think your cycle will be effected by your sandstorm. The oceans direct I received has very fine grains that are blown around easily, but in time it will settle.

I think part of your problem was with the order you started your tank. I mix my water in a separate container, add my sand, rock, and then carefully add my mixed water to try to keep the sandstorm to a minimum.

I think a few more days and you will see some clearing. I would turn the flow down till then.

FishPureLuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I understand.
But what exactly do you mean with:
Your cycle is useless if you can see anything due to silt.

Is my cycle worthless now? Or you mean the opposite because its cloudy my cycle is not worthless?
I meant worthless by if you can't see what's in the tank, what's the point of having it.

FishPureLuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think your cycle will be effected by your sandstorm. The oceans direct I received has very fine grains that are blown around easily, but in time it will settle.

I think part of your problem was with the order you started your tank. I mix my water in a separate container, add my sand, rock, and then carefully add my mixed water to try to keep the sandstorm to a minimum.

I think a few more days and you will see some clearing. I would turn the flow down till then.
If he turns the flow down now to stop the sand storm, as soon as he turns the flow higher, the sand storm will start again. That's why I said get it how you are planning to run it and filter out the silt now.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed it in the tank. Not in a seperate bucket. Because that would take like 5 days before its completely filled

Which version of ocean direct (i.e. aragonite or oolite)

sumtingbig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Ocean Direct Live. I ended up removing it. It was months of just horror. Plus it is really hard on the pumps. Carib-sea makes nice stuff and i don't blame the sand. I blame on how it was handled. Must have been man handled a lot and the grinding of sand particle's thru time just turned to silt.

OP
OP
R

ReeferHolland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Ocean Direct Live. I ended up removing it. It was months of just horror. Plus it is really hard on the pumps. Carib-sea makes nice stuff and i don't blame the sand. I blame on how it was handled. Must have been man handled a lot and the grinding of sand particle's thru time just turned to silt.
Oh was it so bad? How dit it last months? Didn't you keep filtering the stuff out?

OP
OP
R

ReeferHolland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he turns the flow down now to stop the sand storm, as soon as he turns the flow higher, the sand storm will start again. That's why I said get it how you are planning to run it and filter out the silt now.
This sounds as if it would work. Im goin to try this for a few days.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I started my tank 3 days ago, with the salt water first, then the rocks and sand.
So the first 3 days I couldn't see anything, not even the first cm into the water. Today it started clearing up a little bit so the rocks became a little visible. But the rocks are completely covered in white dust. Also the sump, equipment and the glass is completely covered in white dust.
Is this something to worry about? When I blow something off with a coral feeder, it blows up the whole tank again and takes hours to clear up just that extra bit of dust.
Im only running my return pump because the wavemaker makes it worse.

Should I do anything about it? And if so, what?

16657525222076711788654053149545.jpg 16657525441837032281538784862279.jpg
Bacterial bloom. is filter running ? If so, are you using foam pads, socks or similar for micron sediment entrapment?
Filter should be clearing this gradually. Although im not a big fan of such method, You can add something like Kent pro-clear which ive used and works well

1665764921113.png

ikaros70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn’t look like a bacterial bloom, looks like sand storm.
What type of mechanical filtration do you have?
Need to run a filter sock or some type of canister filter, to filter out all the small particles and clear the water.
I would not turn off pumps, everything will just settle and when you turn the pumps back on, it will just create another sand storm.
Basically, You need to trap the small particles and get them out of the water column and it will clear in a day or two.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back