So something has come up... and I am super bummed!!!

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very well paying job opportunity that I just landed... Ive been working at the place for a month now and they want to hire me on permanently... Problem is its alot of hours... currently working 7-10hr shifts from 5:30pm-4:00am and it requires some travel... yeah, yeah... the hours suck, but the pay is amazing... Ive had a crazy project Ive been working on since September, converting the downstairs bedroom into a “reef room.” I honestly dont know what to do... been bothering me for days now... Im honestly thinking of putting the room on hold, but not sure... If you guys have seen the build thread, I have alot invested in that room, but I dont want to get too far into it and have something go wrong... And plus also not seeing my Wife and Kids as much either... Its just ALOT... I guess what Im asking is, “What would you do?” My wife said she wants me to start showing her how to take care of the tank so when I go out of town or if there is a problem she can help out, but I dont want to put that kind of pressure on her. Really stuck here... Reefing has also kept my butt out of trouble... im a recovering addict and it has honestly kept me busy... ery confusing time for me right now... sucks! I know it’s ultimately my choice, but would love to hear your guys’ input... thanks!!!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very well paying job opportunity that I just landed... Ive been working at the place for a month now and they want to hire me on permanently... Problem is its alot of hours... currently working 7-10hr shifts from 5:30pm-4:00am and it requires some travel... yeah, yeah... the hours suck, but the pay is amazing... Ive had a crazy project Ive been working on since September, converting the downstairs bedroom into a “reef room.” I honestly dont know what to do... been bothering me for days now... Im honestly thinking of putting the room on hold, but not sure... If you guys have seen the build thread, I have alot invested in that room, but I dont want to get too far into it and have something go wrong... And plus also not seeing my Wife and Kids as much either... Its just ALOT... I guess what Im asking is, “What would you do?” My wife said she wants me to start showing her how to take care of the tank so when I go out of town or if there is a problem she can help out, but I dont want to put that kind of pressure on her. Really stuck here... Reefing has also kept my *** out of trouble... im a recovering addict and it has honestly kept me busy... ery confusing time for me right now... sucks! I know it’s ultimately my choice, but would love to hear your guys’ input... thanks!!!
I’m a recovering alcoholic, I use reefing as my therapy too, no AA or meetings or anything. I would make sure you continue doing the thing that you know has been helping keep you clean and happy. Maybe your wife will fall in love with actually being the reefer as much as you did, my wife has(thank god). Whatever you choose to do I’m sure you will continue to be strong in your sobriety. This is refreshing to see other people in recovery on here that use reefing as therapy as well ;Smuggrin

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep working on the room maybe just at a slower pace. Try to automate the daily stuff like feeding, dosing, top off, and maybe get waste container for the skimmer. If your room has multiple setups try using a centralized sump so you only have to clean one skimmer, add top off water to one container, and monitor one set of parameters.
My work schedule is similar I work a minimum 10hr/day plus a 30min drive each way, 6 days a week, on an off shift and I have a wife and 3 young kids. I have two tanks, 60g reef and 40g fw tank. At first I had some issues with not being able to feed often enough, so I bought an auto feeder, then manually dosing became problem so I bought a doser. The tank is running a lot better now with maybe 30mins a week of maintenance....cleaning glass, testing and adjusting parameters. And my hands are in the tank less to mess things up. It’s far from perfect but tanks are always a work in progress.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am not a recovering addict, but I have to say you guys are amazing! Good for you and keep at it! I love this hobby! I say keep working on your room and teach your wife. She will probably fall in love with it too! Keep up the good work and inspiring others! [emoji16]

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back