My (new to me) IM100

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been fortunate enough to come across a nice, slightly used, innovative marine 100INT (converted to EXT). My current build (Red Sea 250, original model) was not documented as it was my first so I will try to track this one. After reading all the concern over Red Sea seams I decided I wouldn’t want to wait until it’s possible demise, though I wasn’t seeing any signs of deterioration.

Here are the two tanks in the same room. I’ll have to figure out how to transfer things once the IM100 is ready to go.
IMG_6414.jpeg

With the IM 100 I got about 40lb of live rock, a hippo tang, yellow tang, six line wrasse, bicolor angelfish, coral beauty angelfish, and a blue chromis damselfish. Probably won’t be keeping a lot of them though, with my current livestock.

I have a lot of work ahead of me, but pretty excited to have a good continuation into a sweet tank.

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is drilled for dual return. Currently it only has one return in use. I’m debating on whether I should do dual return (two pumps), or a split return (single pump). If anyone has any experience with that and has input on which route to go, let me know.

36827E5C-4513-4438-B018-ADEB82071C26.jpeg

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent some time wrapping the stand with white vinyl, looks alright, matches the aesthetic better. Doing a leak test now, noticing some small leaks in the back where the overflow box gasket connects from inside the overflow.
IMG_6441.jpeg
IMG_6442.jpeg

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fixed my leak problem, I had the gaskets stacked incorrectly in the overflow. Should be bulkhead flange - gasket - tank rear glass - gasket - overflow box - flange nut.

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disassembled the old tank, moved the coral and livestock into separate holding bins. Got the live rock mostly separated so I’ll be able to build my new scape. Thinking I’ll keep all my coral in the bins and keep them lit while I get the rocks/sand set in the display. Cloudy from the new sand but it’s coming along!

IMG_6444.jpeg

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been sick the past few days so it’s slow going. But here’s where I’m at now.

Got the tank running, scape mostly done, fish added with the live rock. Waiting on more sand, and more stable parameters before adding coral back.

I made the mistake of adding a chromis damselfish to the tank from the previous tank owner, did not consider how much it kicks up sand and burrows, I’ll probably have to catch and take to lfs.

Three major things to work on this week is lighting, wire management, and ATO. For lighting I have an AI 64HD as well as a pair of ReefLED 50 lights, considering building an overhanging “shelf” and suspending those lights from it. For wire management I’ll probably build a board from PVC and use that to mount and route my wires in the sump. For ATO, I will be routing the line through the wall behind the tank right into the garage, which will allow for more space in the cabinet.

IMG_6448.jpeg

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I made the mistake of working on the tank and moving the ATO line out of the way, and forgetting to put it back. So I ended up dumping about 6 gallons of RODI onto my floors overnight and am now replacing all my floors.

Bright side of all this, I’ll never let it happen again and I’ll have some better flooring that will not squeak. Tank updates will need to take a back seat while new floors and baseboards are all replaced.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is drilled for dual return. Currently it only has one return in use. I’m debating on whether I should do dual return (two pumps), or a split return (single pump). If anyone has any experience with that and has input on which route to go, let me know.

36827E5C-4513-4438-B018-ADEB82071C26.jpeg
You can put a T in and run both sides off one pump. If possible keep the runs equal distance best you can. If not than your dual ball valves can adjust the flow rate. Or i you have enough room in the sump run dual pumps, left & right. I'm doing a dual on my 90g build. Right side from front is closest to the pumps so adding a manifold to capitalize on the extra pressure. Bonus of two pumps is that you have a back up in case one pukes out on you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back