So this just happened.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HoB Protein Skimmer decided to go crazy between when I left for work at 3, and when I went home for dinner at 5.
By crazy I mean, it went into Extreme Mega Turbo Mode and overflowed. In that time, I lost about 7 gallons of water from my 55. Fortunately no equipment was exposed, but just about everything would be running dry, including about 1/3rd of the heater if it drained all the way down to the intake, and put probably 20 gallons onto the floor. Working flawless for a year, even when the skimmer cup was right full, it never overflowed onto the floor like this.

So unplugged the skimmer, set some new water mixing, put down some towels (thank whatever deities may or may not exist its an unfinished basement and most of the water is in my sump pit), and went back to work. Didn't even get a chance to eat, bugger.

That does it, I am shelling out for a smart leak detector, because I normally don't go home for dinner.

So yeah. Awesome day.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HoB Protein Skimmer decided to go crazy between when I left for work at 3, and when I went home for dinner at 5.
By crazy I mean, it went into Extreme Mega Turbo Mode and overflowed. In that time, I lost about 7 gallons of water from my 55. Fortunately no equipment was exposed, but just about everything would be running dry, including about 1/3rd of the heater if it drained all the way down to the intake, and put probably 20 gallons onto the floor. Working flawless for a year, even when the skimmer cup was right full, it never overflowed onto the floor like this.

So unplugged the skimmer, set some new water mixing, put down some towels (thank whatever deities may or may not exist its an unfinished basement and most of the water is in my sump pit), and went back to work. Didn't even get a chance to eat, bugger.

That does it, I am shelling out for a smart leak detector, because I normally don't go home for dinner.

So yeah. Awesome day.
Is it possible to attach a drain line on the skimmer cup to a 5 gallon bucket or directly to your sump pit as a just in case?
Glad this wasn't worse.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to attach a drain line on the skimmer cup to a 5 gallon bucket or directly to your sump pit as a just in case?
Glad this wasn't worse.

Probably. It's a reef octopus 1000. Fortunately I won't need it much longer, as I'm working on a significant upgrade.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went through this. I got some GoVee wifi water sensors on Amazon. They connect to wifi, so it will alert my phone. If it gets wet, it also has a high decibel alarm. I can connect my equipment to the Kava smart power strip, so if I get an alert ... I can connect to Kava and power down.
I've been cleaning up the aftermath of my water accident for weeks. It cost me almost a grand in new flooring.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back