So what’s everyone’s take on this dosing pump?

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I read somewhere that if power is lost to the Kamoer the schedule doesn't start back up when power is restored. Any truth to that? Is it just BT or both BT and Wifi?
The problem is that these are cheap IoT devices - and aren't really storing the schedule on the device - so when they can't connect to wifi - they just keep doing whatever they were doing. If that's dosing, they'll keep dosing. If that's not dosing - they won't dose until they connect.

The pump itself is very high quality. The controller/software/etc are not.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've cut power to my units and have had no issues with the schedule. I have had a couple times though where when I opened the app, it looked like everything had reset to default, but I simply had to reopen the app and my settings loaded properly.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've cut power to my units and have had no issues with the schedule. I have had a couple times though where when I opened the app, it looked like everything had reset to default, but I simply had to reopen the app and my settings loaded properly.
That has happened to me as well. Confusing at first, but then I realized it was a "refresh" issue.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The problem is that these are cheap IoT devices - and aren't really storing the schedule on the device - so when they can't connect to wifi - they just keep doing whatever they were doing. If that's dosing, they'll keep dosing. If that's not dosing - they won't dose until they connect.

The pump itself is very high quality. The controller/software/etc are not.
Agreed. I still like the device quite well, but I just keep an eye on what it is doing. For dosing, I think I'll stick with my SpectraPure Liter Meter. Everything is on board with no cloud in the way.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For clarification, do they need WiFi to operate properly or is the WiFi only to communicate with the device through the phone app?

I would think the latter, otherwise it would also go down when your internet is down.

I would also think the schedule and all settings have to be on the device, no?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try and shut off my router before a dose today to test. These are currently 20% off for Black Friday and I plan on picking up one or two more.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try and shut off my router before a dose today to test. These are currently 20% off for Black Friday and I plan on picking up one or two more.
Exactly why I'm asking the questions. Need confirmation that these will still dose normally without network or WiFi and that the only thing affected on loss of WiFi is the ability to communicate with them.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly why I'm asking the questions. Need confirmation that these will still dose normally without network or WiFi and that the only thing affected on loss of WiFi is the ability to communicate with them.

I just tested this by unplugging my router 2 minutes prior to a scheduled dose and the dose proceeded as scheduled, no issue. Unit showed up as offline in the app.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This does not mean that some units might not have glitches or bugs, this is simply my experience, but I'm buying a couple more this week sometime.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are people finding the Kamoer Wifi dosing pumps these days? Wifi setup improved? Smooth sailing in other areas?!
Just set mine up (3 of them) this weekend.

Connected to WiFi with no issue, once I figured out you have to hold the reset button for 4 seconds vice 2 to get it into configuration mode. The app guides you through the setup and states 2 but it's really 4, which is what the manual states.

The calibration was easy. I think the graduated cylinder it comes with is off slightly. When I filled it with a syringe (that matches the 10ml mark on a Hanna cuvette) it was off by 0.2ml. I was measuring since the cylinder has two scales, both in ml but don't match each other. So I was seeing with one to go off of. The engraved one was off by 0.2ml and the printed on one off by 0.4ml.

The pumps primed without issue.

Setting schedule took a couple of tries just to see how the app worked, but not bad.

The app did crash on me a couple of times.

Since it's only been a day not much else to go on.

I made a board to mount them on so they stick off the wall a bit. This allows the power supply to be plugged into the back of them. I also have the power supply daisy chained between the pumps. Not sure why they would design the pump that you have to do this to be able mount them on a wall and plug in the power supply.

IMG_20201219_133126397.jpg

IMG_20201220_140617880.jpg

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brilliant - thanks for the detail here.

It blows my mind in 2020 that fundamental things like a wall mounting bracket aren't included... or other power/mounting considerations aren't fully thought out. This is not limited to this product of course...

Glad to hear the pump and setup is generally smooth. I think I'll pull the trigger on the Kamoer X1 Pro wifi dosing pump. If I like it, pick up another. That or just get a single BRS head and connect it to Apex somehow...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back