jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
64ad91f7a34b47dcc124a1d0410f2141.jpg
. Neon green toadstool I got on some live rock I bought off craigslist
b26a2a96cec304c395ac49e6382dc4d3.jpg
here it is today doing great ... survived my tank cycle and hurricane Harvey (no power for 8 days )

vsaunders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coolest hitchhiker I have gotten in my short time reefing was a small emerald crab. Worst (so far) was an aptasia anemone that was gotten rid of before it spread.

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on TBS rock. I've gotten a TON of cool hitchhikers on the rock I got, and I only bought the 10 gallon "package." It was well worth it. Urchins (lots of urchins), crabs (not just baddies but also some smaller varieties including an acropia crab and a decorator crab), corals, limpets, and I did get not one but TWO mantis shrimp!

I like their sand, too. It looks more like the sand I would find on the beach when I was a kid.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neatest thing I ever found was a pair of dime-sized urchins that came buried in 5 lbs of live Florida sand.

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F7001E02-0FF6-46DE-AC0A-9D0C1B53CAFF.jpeg
Coolest was mushroom coral. Just got a new light for my tank so I hope they grow and spread.
Worst was Aiptasia which I keep under control with two peppermint shrimp.

liveround69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have any pictures but once i went to the LFS and purchased a few extra rocks for my xtra small pico tank. I looked in there the next morning to check on my clowns and they both were dead as were all the cuc. I re purchased and chocked it up to my error that they all died even though i didnt see a reason after testing all the known parameters. Everything tested in range and thus i started to scratch my head as to why. Then the next morning i got up to find everything dead again. I tested and everything was still in range.

I decided to try once more. Then in the middle of the night i had an urge to get up and go check the fish to see if they had died like the others. I walked up to the tank and to my surprise i seen what appeared to be a very small snake like creature almost resembling a sea crate. I knew this wasnt possible since the crates are much bigger of course and tried to grab it with a set of hemostats. The creature shot back into the rock work and disappeared. He was making an attempt at one of the fish and the other was already dead.

I did some research and found out what i had what was called a proboscis worm or nemertean worm. They are really nasty little creatures to come across as they have a poisonous tip on the end of their nose that they use to incapacitate their prey.

Ended up giving the rock back to the LFS and they got tired of trying to catch him so they dropped the rock in a bucket of bleach.

good riddance.....

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few hitchhikers including the common stomatellas, sponges, etc.

I have a large population of isopods in my tank. They all seem to be the same species and are all peaceful detrivores, very active at night and fun to watch scurry about.

But the coolest, weirdest, thing I've seen in my tank was a number of polychaete worm epitokes. I'd you're not familiar with these then look them up, very interesting.

Wiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tons of awesome hitchhikers from TBS. The best are porcelain carbs, serpent stars, Mithras crabs etc.

Worst Gorilla crabs and 2 mantis shrimp left (although I might let them stay)

but this guy is the most interesting........
1E544BC1-5177-4F00-AE77-00085892D586.jpeg

Cae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst thing I eva got was these teeny tiny jellyfish that wiped out my copepod population that I had built up over 12mths. It only took them about a week to destroy everything. Too small to catch and I couldn't find any information about how to kill them other than "they will die out from lack of food"

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst thing I eva got was these teeny tiny jellyfish that wiped out my copepod population that I had built up over 12mths. It only took them about a week to destroy everything. Too small to catch and I couldn't find any information about how to kill them other than "they will die out from lack of food"
Could you be talking about hydroids?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.5%
Back