So what's it like in Pittsburgh?

EvilMel

doesn't click links
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys...

thinking of focusing on Pittsburgh for a job search based on a couple of things.

What's it like there for reefing?

Here in Knoxville we've got a great group of people, monthly potlucks, three regional swaps a year, and everyone is really tight knit.

What's it like up in your neck of the woods?

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice group of guys and gals up here in the Steel City. I am not a member of the club, but I know they have monthly meetings with a speaker, presentations, etc. They recently had a pig roast/frag swap. There are a few LFS here, some good for fish, others for coral.

As far as jobs are concerned, it depends on what you do. There are a few large banks setting up shop in Pittsburgh and I hear they will have many positions open. Banking, Law, and Engineering...

Nightlife and Culture are some of the best around IMO. We have a Zoo/Aquarium which nice, and several museums.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll definitely like it here. I belong to the club but only get to 1 or 2 meetings a year. Great group of reefers in the area. I have had a few opportunities to move out of the area and stayed. The only thing that sucks about Pittsburgh is the Pirates:xd:.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am going to be the other side of the tracks..There is a decent amount of reef stuff around and such. BUT for pittsburgh itself. I think it is AWFUL..There is NOTHING to do around here. I have been to the zoo and all those places to many times and they get old fast. its ugly here and weather is CRAP. Basically there is nothing to do here unless you are into drinking alot and going to clubs..2 things I am not. I wish i can find the opportunity to move out of this place.

buck50bmg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be the other side of the tracks..There is a decent amount of reef stuff around and such. BUT for pittsburgh itself. I think it is AWFUL..There is NOTHING to do around here. I have been to the zoo and all those places to many times and they get old fast. its ugly here and weather is CRAP. Basically there is nothing to do here unless you are into drinking alot and going to clubs..2 things I am not. I wish i can find the opportunity to move out of this place.

Get out once in a while man! You can hike, in the city or out of the city. There some of the best museums in the world here. Ohh and we have the Pens and the Steelers!!!!

I have been to allot.......I mean ALLOT of other cities and this is by far one of the best.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes but those are not things I enjoy. So this city does not offer me much...I am not into sports. I like tropical and beach and sun..we have none of that. The museums are nice the first few times..but once you go to the 3-4 attractions 15times they become boring. With my photography..There is only like 3 events a year that i enjoy here..the air show that they canceled this year, the grand prix and the regatta. Its just my perspective of Pittsburgh. I cant wait till I have an opportunity to leave and go south and never deal with cold again.

aerius007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its probably not a bad place if you can avoid the people wearing black and gold!

:crossedlips:

DISCLAIMER: This post is brought to by a jealous Browns fan. :cry:

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its probably not a bad place if you can avoid the people wearing black and gold!

:crossedlips:

DISCLAIMER: This post is brought to by a jealous Browns fan. :cry:

:snicker:

Tropical we are not. I love sports, golfing, museums, nature, etc. so I think this is a great town to live in. Traffic isn't all that bad, the Pirates baseball stadium is one of the best in MLB (if only they could put a major league team in it) and I think it offers a lot for people who don't mind cloudy (not to be confused with rainy) days.

The club is great. Even if you never went to a meeting, the fact that all the local stores sponsor the club with 10% off to members makes it worthwhile. The people are great, and I've gotten to know a lot of very good people through the club and people on the message boards.

raynist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will find the grass is not always greener as they say. I lived in Florida for a couple of years. The beach gets old as does the opressive heat and humidity. Florida in the summer can be rather brown and ugly. It is actually much greener here inthe summer than Florida. I left after 2 years and wouldn't move back for anything. My wife lived in Florida until she was 22 and said she would never go back.

The city is only as boring as you make it out to be. There is an infinite number of things to do here. Many pittsburghers complain about the city but have never lived anywhere else to compare, they compare it to places they went on vacation to for a week. The city itself is beautiful, the skyline/ view from mt Washington was rated the second most beautiful place in the country, we have architecture they could only dream of in Florida. I guess it is nice there if you want to take pictures of palm trees and stucco all day ;)

raynist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the club is concerned would say we have one of the best in the country. We hosted macna a few years ago and it was considered to be one of the best ever. We have some very knowledgeable reefers. Anthony Calfo is in the club as well as Steven Pro, Adam Cesnales and Mike Paletta, all of whom have either written books on reefing or travel to do speaking engagements. There are many others in the club with vast knowledge and are always willing to help.

bigmatt1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this summer ive been to over 6 states and threw alot of big citys for football and ive got to say pittsburgh blows these places away. there so much more to do here then in some of the citys. south carolina is hot humid and sicking to be out for more then a hour the beach is cool. but its a beach you can go to lake erie for a day to see that. there no were else in the world in my eyes you get the small town feel in a big city there so much home town pride when it comes to pittsburgh it makes you feel electified. sports no doubt here is the best any were from high school up pittsburgh is world renouwnd for haveing the best (Pirates will get there) the night life is out of this world you dont have to go out to the bars to have fun you can go out on the rive on a dinner cruise or go to a ball game ect. this town is the town to be in period.

OP
OP
EvilMel

EvilMel

doesn't click links
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I would like the town of Pittsburgh. I am not a beachy kind of person anyway.

There's a good scooter club there that has a bunch of nice folks that I've met several times, so I'm sure there'd be stuff for us to do.

I was mainly curious about the reef store/club situation! Sounds like you guys have a good thing going up there. I will mega-hate leaving my club. We have a great time at all of our meetings...eat a lot, drink a lot, make fun of each other a LOT...they're the best.

raynist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was mainly curious about the reef store/club situation! Sounds like you guys have a good thing going up there. I will mega-hate leaving my club. We have a great time at all of our meetings...eat a lot, drink a lot, make fun of each other a LOT...they're the best.

We do all of that here too!!

Plus, we get top of the line speakers in several times a year from all over the country!

bigmatt1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well like said befor lfs there are some good for fish and some good for coral aquaworld is your best bet for anything and evertything there coral selicton is out of this world.

OP
OP
EvilMel

EvilMel

doesn't click links
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm not insanely worried about the LFS honestly.

I am just hoping that the club is fun.

Ours is a blast:
IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_3759.jpg

(that's a frag swap photo...not really apple juice in those bottles)

OP
OP
EvilMel

EvilMel

doesn't click links
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i hope the containers were washed out apple flavor beer yum!!!
It was cider of a different variety...the more...alcoholic kind.

It's funny that I always post pictures like these, which makes our club seem like we're a bunch of drunks.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back