So Where Do You Get Your Fish From?

Weehawken64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new to the hobby and soon will be ready to buy fish. So my question to you seasoned hobbyist is where do you prefer to purchase your fish from? A LFS or an online retailer? If you can tell me why you prefer the one you do. If its an online retailer please tell me your favorite one? I live in NJ and there is a very good and well known lfs near me but while being good they are also very expensive. So please share with me. And also for those who order online, what are the best days to order? Thanks so much to all!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since I have a Petco near by and it's my only choice I get the more common fish there. I also buy online from Live Aquaria, Blue Zoo Aquatic's, and I have my first order from Premium Aquatic's coming Friday.

A few others to check out are Nicewrasse, and Pacific Island Aquatic's.

If you are looking for nice Clownfish we have a few reputable Clownfish vendors that sponsor here as well.

OP
OP
Weehawken64

Weehawken64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks skinz. I'm trying to come up with my fish list now and yes I'd like clownfish. It's hard because I have a 29gl biocube and I know I can only get but so many fish so I'm limited but there so many I like. It's hard to choose.

alvintran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a beginner, so I haven't made a lot of purchases yet. But I bought my cleaner crew, 2 occelaris clowns and live rock from a LFS. It is only 7 miles away, with VERY good livestock, and great reviews. They're very professional, friendly, and very well known in the area. I choose to buy from a LFS because I want to support local business, plus I don't want to pay for the high shipping cost when I can just drive to the store and pick out the fish myself.
Just my thoughts.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought locally and from LiveAquaria on several occasions... I'd venture to say that LiveAquaria Diver's Den will give you healthier stock than most LFS, and when you go with Diver's Den its what you see is what you get, not a stock photo. I've always been happy with the fish and corals I've ordered from them and it's much cheaper than most LFS too.

oceangirl2009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer a credible LFS there's a lot to be said for observing a fish before purchasing it and putting it in your tank. Look around your area and see if there is a local club. Local members can be a huge help to a new hobbyist in giving advice on who to buy from and who to stay away from. Personally, I don't buy fish from PetCo, but I do know some people who have with success.

ak_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy all my fish locally I have yet to buy a fish online.

Sent From my Frontal Lobes via TapaTalk!!

Sebanyo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer lfs as you are able to observe the fish beforehand and get the exact size fish you are expecting. I can only imagine you're from the weehawken area? What lfs do you use ? I'm in Hoboken and take the drive to rt 4 aquarium, great selection and decent pricing.

OP
OP
Weehawken64

Weehawken64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all, I really appreciate all of your opinions. Hey Hoboken we are neighbors. I dnt like to include any local business names on here good or bad but please feel free to pm and id be happy to let you know.

OP
OP
Weehawken64

Weehawken64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing that is annoying is I'm trying to buy empty shells for my hermits and none of the lfs sell them.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I perfer LFS bc i can see them and get the low down. I have Three awesome top notch specialty saltwater shops around me so i like to support them.

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using only bluezoo, but recently i went to petco and the guy orders in any fish. So it ends up being cheaper because they get wholesale prices from places like bluezoo or live aquaria.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks skinz. I'm trying to come up with my fish list now and yes I'd like clownfish. It's hard because I have a 29gl biocube and I know I can only get but so many fish so I'm limited but there so many I like. It's hard to choose.

This is why you make your fish list then buy the tank =P

Another thing that is annoying is I'm trying to buy empty shells for my hermits and none of the lfs sell them.

Go to any pet stores that sell stuff for hermits and get shells that are unpainted, give them a wash in cold water, maybe a bit of vinegar, more washing and should be okay.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But my preferences when it comes to buying fish. If I can buy locally then I do. Shipping is a pain, but sometimes you need to do it to either get the best deal or get a rare/not usually carried fish. Most places will order fish for you, but I have not done that yet.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back