So... where is the imbalance?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Causes of nuisance organism growth.

There is no single link to that subject, unfortunately. Also, I cannot find anyone investing research dollars on the subject of nuisance organism growth in the saltwater aquarium. There are many people reading the scientific literature about nuisance organism growth in the ocean and using what they learn to create explanations for the occurrence of nuisance organism growth in the aquarium. Their conjecture is typically supported only with anecdotal data. The working thread on “rip cleaning” substrate (@brandon429) comes close to providing aquarium data that supports a conjecture about causation which might read ”organics in the substrate cause cyanobacteria growth”. I have not spent much time on the causation of dinoflagellate growth, but @taricha has and we have debated the causation question quite a bit. You might guess that I have challenged him on his ideas :)

Sorry about not really helping you as I promised. I will give this some further thought and look through my files for possible useful links.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no single link to that subject, unfortunately. Also, I cannot find anyone investing research dollars on the subject of nuisance organism growth in the saltwater aquarium. There are many people reading the scientific literature about nuisance organism growth in the ocean and using what they learn to create explanations for the occurrence of nuisance organism growth in the aquarium. Their conjecture is typically supported only with anecdotal data. The working thread on “rip cleaning” substrate (@brandon429) comes close to providing aquarium data that supports a conjecture about causation which might read ”organics in the substrate cause cyanobacteria growth”. I have not spent much time on the causation of dinoflagellate growth, but @taricha has and we have debated the causation question quite a bit. You might guess that I have challenged him on his ideas :)

Sorry about not really helping you as I promised. I will give this some further thought and look through my files for possible useful links.

Thank you.

Yes; I have read Brandon's post on cycling ( https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-microbiology-of-reef-tank-cycling.214618/). Clearly he is at an advanced level on the subject matter and writes in the same way. I find it difficult to follow along with some of what he writes.

I once made the mistake of asking someone to simplify their post... :rolleyes:. You'd think what I asked! LOL

It was suggested that I raise my level rather than they "dumb it down". Hehe... sure... let me go get my Doctorate. I'll get back to ya... LOL

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

Yes; I have read Brandon's post on cycling ( https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-microbiology-of-reef-tank-cycling.214618/). Clearly he is at an advanced level on the subject matter and writes in the same way. I find it difficult to follow along with some of what he writes.

I once made the mistake of asking someone to simplify their post... :rolleyes:. You'd think what I asked! LOL

It was suggested that I raise my level rather than they "dumb it down". Hehe... sure... let me go get my Doctorate. I'll get back to ya... LOL
Dom, I don’t follow everything that is written on this site either!

For one thing we are discussing very complicated issues and there is a tendency to fire off quick answers and rebuttals to subjects that could be considered doctoral thesis material. Sometimes English is a second language of the writer. No matter what is said though, I am always impressed this person is taking a shot at discussing a complex issue in another language. Then there is the bully tactic in writing where the object is not to explain but to put the reader on the defense to back off. Finally, communication laziness might be an over arching reason why it is hard to understand ideas written on this site. We are in a communication era where 120 characters and minimal effort are the norm in electronic communications.

In your defense Dom, it is the responsibility of the writers of wisdom on this site who must work harder communicating. That would be the friendly thing to do, right?

Dan

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's been quite an educational experience to take the conditions that I think will grow a nuisance organism, and then create those conditions in a beaker or small tank and try to actually culture them.
You start to look a bit sideways at all the anecdotal and narrative data you'd seen before and look for alternative interpretations.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back