So you want to raise/trying to raise Dendronephthya and Scleronephthya

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really impressed and enthusiastically following this thread ...

Thinking here that you really have something there that deserves to be observed and developed ... when you offer the "algae juice" from Chaetomorpha to the carnation corals, there goes much more than the juice of the algae; also periphyton.

Perhaps the secret of the success you are getting is not only in the chosen algae but in the microflora and microfauna that it can select and maintain on its surface; also pay a little attention to this.

All factors are important: Light, temperature, circulation, nutrient levels, microbial load and its variety and even the quality of POM and DOM that conditions all of this.

Without reproducing all these conditions, it may be that someone trying to replicate your experiment does not achieve the same success and is disappointed by it.

Really, really congratulations and continue "thinking out of the box", our hobby needs a lot of it!

Best regards

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info. I am in the planning stages of an all nps 40 gallon tank that will be setup hopefully by the end of the year. I will be following this very closely.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great information! Are you also using a skimmer?

No skimmer, no water changes since day one. I increase depth of my refugium 2 weeks ago, by adding water to it. Go to my profile choose threads. Will see tank design, sulfur denitrators, new project X. Any problems, let me know

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos on 1/15/18. Carnation you see exactly as they look at the lfs.

SAM_2052.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, my tank is designed where water goes in and out thru one pipe, by doing this 1. The bottom substrate acts like an undergravel filter for aerobic filtration, and prevents pods from being removed in DT, 2. I'm only using one pump, 3. I can simulate tides slow and fast no plc only relays, micro second timers, easier to repair.

Point is, if I cut off flow to pipe, my dosing system feeds corals say 1 hr off for pump, 1 hr on. By doing this I've increase feeding time so benefiting corals.

Last edited:

mazoli

(re)Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you describe ín details how you prepare the food from chaeto. How you chop IT up, what Size is the chopped and dilluted food, etc. Sounds very promising and interesting. Thanks.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see, 1/2 cup Chaetomorpha in a blender, blend till chopped the more the better, I use 50 Micron sock strain it. Add liquid to 2,or 3 or 4,or 5 gallons of DT water. Dose 10,or 20,or 30ml to 4min, 10min, etc....Depends on your tank if it will be able to handle it. Keep eye on NO3 & pho3.

Go to YouTube under "So you want to raise Dendronephthya and Scleronephthya " see my little friends. Subscribe if possible.

20180304_190219.jpg

Screenshot_2018-03-04-15-13-50.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back