Soching Oxydator tests.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxydator peroxide tank water testing.

Yesterday I filled my Oxydator A with the usual 12% peroxide with 2 catalysts. I waited 24 hours and just took a peroxide water test using test strips.
It's a very simple test. Dip the test strip into the water for 2 seconds, wait 30 seconds and match to the colour chart.

My result shows I have less than 0.5ppm peroxide in my water so from that I can deduce that all the peroxide being released is reacting with the organics etc in my tank water.

I now have an Oxydator W for my tank and will fill it with 12% peroxide and firstly 2 catalysts then add a 3rd and publish the results. I will do this in the next few days.
Photo of my test result this morning.
20230301_120243.jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yesterday I filled my Oxydator A with the usual 12% peroxide with 2 catalysts. I waited 24 hours and just took a peroxide water test using test strips.
It's a very simple test. Dip the test strip into the water for 2 seconds, wait 30 seconds and match to the colour chart.

My result shows I have less than 0.5ppm peroxide in my water so from that I can deduce that all the peroxide being released is reacting with the organics etc in my tank water.

I now have an Oxydator W for my tank and will fill it with 12% peroxide and firstly 2 catalysts then add a 3rd and publish the results. I will do this in the next few days.
20230301_120243.jpg
I like this and will be following.

It seems more people employ oxydators where you’re at (Europe) than where I am (USA). I’m not sure why they are not used more here.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this and will be following.

It seems more people employ oxydators where you’re at (Europe) than where I am (USA). I’m not sure why they are not used more here.
I think there are a few simple reasons why that might be.
1/ you won't see any advertisement ls for Oxydator's inbthe USA.
2/ Only one shop stocks them, the shrimp tank in New Mexico.
3/ No reefing guru hardly ever mentions them or has any experience of them apart from Albert Thiel RIP in his book nano reef aquariums as far as I know.
4/ BRS don't stock them or have ever done a video of them possibly as they don't stock them and have no experience using the.
5/ Last but by no means least Schoting are a rather strange company. I have never had a direct reply when emailing them.
They never post on the Oxydator user group on Facebook and certainly don't seem to want to increase sales. Perhaps they are at full capacity manufacturing wise and are more than happy with sales.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are a few simple reasons why that might be.
1/ you won't see any advertisement ls for Oxydator's inbthe USA.
2/ Only one shop stocks them, the shrimp tank in New Mexico.
3/ No reefing guru hardly ever mentions them or has any experience of them apart from Albert Thiel RIP in his book nano reef aquariums as far as I know.
4/ BRS don't stock them or have ever done a video of them possibly as they don't stock them and have no experience using the.
5/ Last but by no means least Schoting are a rather strange company. I have never had a direct reply when emailing them.
They never post on the Oxydator user group on Facebook and certainly don't seem to want to increase sales. Perhaps they are at full capacity manufacturing wise and are more than happy with sales.
All excellent points, @atoll !

I’m familiar with the lack of suppliers and that The Shrimp Tank often runs low and out of stock. I’m also familiar with Albert Thiel and his publications. I met him back in the mid 90’s. He was a very nice man, fabulous enthusiast, pioneer and contributor to the hobby.

This all kind of gives me some ideas for a business!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know lots of folks like hydrogen peroxide, but I am still very cautious over what effects it is having on things like trace element chemical form and the bioavailability of them, since it is known to impact some of them such as copper. .

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know lots of folks like hydrogen peroxide, but I am still very cautious over what effects it is having on things like trace element chemical form and the bioavailability of them, since it is known to impact some of them such as copper. .
Good job I show no copper when I have done tests doesn't mean there is no copper at all of course. You may know I and may more have been using Oxydators for many years without experiencing any issues and my reef tank is testimony to my success in keeping corals and fish healthy. Many reefers in the UK and throughout Europe have also been using Oxydator's for many years. Could the likes of Ozone also be a cause of concern?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job I show no copper when I have done tests doesn't mean there is no copper at all of course. You may know I and may more have been using Oxydators for many years without experiencing any issues and my reef tank is testimony to my success in keeping corals and fish healthy. Many reefers in the UK and throughout Europe have also been using Oxydator's for many years. Could the likes of Ozone also be a cause of concern?

Ozone certainly has similar (but different) and likely more extensive changes to trace elements.

In the case of copper specifically, I think ozone won't do anything since the normal form of copper in seawater is fully oxidized already, while hydrogen peroxide actually acts as a reducing agent and converts Cu++ to Cu+.

I just want folks to recognize that it does more than just add O2, which is sometimes claimed. :)

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious @atoll to see your results.

I have been using an Oxydator for 1 1/2 years with great results but never thought about the amount of hydrogen peroxide levels in the aquarium. Guess I assumed the Oxydator converted all the hydrogen peroxide. Will be interesting to see what you find.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Guess I assumed the Oxydator converted all the hydrogen peroxide.

Just to keep that result of less than 0.5 ppm in perspective, in the ocean, values usually range from less than 10 to about 400 nM. 400 nM is 12,800 ng/L = 12.8 ug/L = 13 ppb = 0.013 ppm.

So natural levels are far below the testing capability of that kit.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've beeb using an oxydator for a little while now, and when I first srt it up, I realized that it might just be slow dosing H2O2 singe the gas the catalyst give off is going to the top of the container, building pressure which I am pretty sure is just pushing the peroxide solution right out into the water, but its so slow I figured its less than manually dosing. I think I am getting .3ml per gallon per day. Which I assume is a very safe rate.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to keep that result of less than 0.5 ppm in perspective, in the ocean, values usually range from less than 10 to about 400 nM. 400 nM is 12,800 ng/L = 12.8 ug/L = 13 ppb = 0.013 ppm.

So natural levels are far below the testing capability of that kit.
Yeah, I suspected the cheap test strips wouldn't go low enough to natural levels. It's for this reason and others I always suggest when recommending the % of peroxide and number if catalyst that a close eye is kept on your animals for the 30 mins after adding the Oxydator esp for the first time.
Same with most hobby type test kits which often measure low enough to reflect the natural levels in the sea.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am natural , philosophical sceptic, but I am going to follow this thread to learn something.
So far I didn’t find any convincing evidence or studies that Sochting Oxydator is beneficial to reef aquariums, perhaps this thread will change my mind.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am natural , philosophical sceptic, but I am going to follow this thread to learn something.
So far I didn’t find any convincing evidence or studies that Sochting Oxydator is beneficial to reef aquariums, perhaps this thread will change my mind.
I am not aware of any truly scientific lab research on Oxydator's not in English anyway, there could possibly be in German. Your probably going to be disappointed in that respect.
All we have is personal experience and reports back by hobbiests, just anecdotal am afraid. Lots of reports of observation before and after after use and the like. However, I wonder if @Lasse has anything more with regards to something more substantial evidence.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just replaced my Oxydator A with the W 12% peroxide and 3 catalysts. My Magnifica and RBTA didn't like it and within minutes some of the tentacles had pinched and shrunk on both. I never took a photo nor carried out a peroxide test as I wanted to remove the Oxydator as soon as I noticed the adverse affect.

I will leave it until the nems have fully recovered, they are already doing so. I will remove one of the catalysts leaving 2 before replacing it back in the sump. I will give it a couple of hours before considering putting it back in the sump.

This is why I always recommend watching your animals closely after adding an Oxydator. When I recommend a model,% of peroxide and number of catalysts it's based on my experience and within safe limits.

One of the reasons for replacing the A with the W model is to reduce the time between refills along with the fact the W floats when empty of peroxide.

I will report back on the replacement of the W back into the sump later.

Watch this space.

Last edited:

Angry German

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using the model A a few months back on my 150g FOWLR and then on my 50g mixed reef. I noticed almost overnight difference on my FOWLR, the water was and has been kept crystal clear. The film algae on my glass was also reduced. I had to clean the glass every few day, at minimum once a week where it looked too ugly to look at. I use a magic eraser and it was black by the time I was done. Now I still clean the glass once a week by habit but the magic eraser is a light yellow. I replace 6% peroxide once every two weeks, I use only one catalyst. Fish don't seem to mind and the leathers seem fine as well. Less alage growth on rocks and glass. Chaeto doing a ok in sump. My oxydator is in the sump next to the return pump.
I then got one for my reef, same effects with crystal clear water using 6% with one catalyst. Corals all doing fine, water parameters doing fine, RBTA, shrimp, all other inhabitants seem to be doing business as usual. So far I have only seen beneficial effects in both tanks.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using the model A a few months back on my 150g FOWLR and then on my 50g mixed reef. I noticed almost overnight difference on my FOWLR, the water was and has been kept crystal clear. The film algae on my glass was also reduced. I had to clean the glass every few day, at minimum once a week where it looked too ugly to look at. I use a magic eraser and it was black by the time I was done. Now I still clean the glass once a week by habit but the magic eraser is a light yellow. I replace 6% peroxide once every two weeks, I use only one catalyst. Fish don't seem to mind and the leathers seem fine as well. Less alage growth on rocks and glass. Chaeto doing a ok in sump. My oxydator is in the sump next to the return pump.
I then got one for my reef, same effects with crystal clear water using 6% with one catalyst. Corals all doing fine, water parameters doing fine, RBTA, shrimp, all other inhabitants seem to be doing business as usual. So far I have only seen beneficial effects in both tanks.
Exactly what most people report.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20230301_120243.jpg
Micro algae and many other organisms produce an enzyme that decomposes hydrogen peroxide. i would say that we are left wondering where the peroxide went, maybe just turned into molecular oxygen.

Angry German

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what is the point of using more than one catalyst and what the difference in peroxide concentrations are? I buy 12% and dilute it to 6% only because the oxydator fluid they sell is 6%, so I just thought that is what supposed to be used. But after some research I see others use 12% or 6% and 1-3 catalyst but I'm not exactly sure what the benefit is.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what is the point of using more than one catalyst and what the difference in peroxide concentrations are? I buy 12% and dilute it to 6% only because the oxydator fluid they sell is 6%, so I just thought that is what supposed to be used. But after some research I see others use 12% or 6% and 1-3 catalyst but I'm not exactly sure what the benefit is.
The manufacturers recommendations are based on freshwater not saltwater. We use higher strength in saltwater tanks.
By doubling the number of catalysts you double the breakdown of peroxide and therefore production of super oxygen as they call it. In the UK Joe public can only buy 12% peroxide but adding more catalysts has a similar effect to increasing the peroxide concentration.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
peroxide is complicated.
How it works in dips (direct high concentration oxidative damage) and how it seems to work for some in tank-wide use against algae are probably not exactly the same mechanisms.
I wonder what level of H2O2 it takes to affect the oxidation of metals. I'm guessing lower than test kit detection.
I'm surprised @atoll detected none. I'd guess tiny amounts leak out with the bubbles from the oxydator.

Fun weirdness: My Green Star Polyps are as sensitive to peroxide as my test strips. As long as the strips could detect H2O2 in my tank, the polyps were at least partially retracted. Once the polyps looked fully extended, the strips no longer could measure any peroxide.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 65 32.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back