Socks on your ULNS??

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been debating whether or not to remove my three filter socks altogether. I've been lazy on changing them regularly every three days, and have only been switching them out during weekly waterchanges.

Also, by dosing vinegar, running GFO, and a 20gal fuge I've been able to keep Phosphate at 0 (Hanna) and nitrates at <.02 (Salifert).

Was wondering how many of you fellow SPS-heads still use socks??

tonymission

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been a big proponent of socks but I was losing a lot of color in my sps frag tank which is already lower nutrient. Took them out and saw a pretty quick color rebound. There are a lot of correct answers here depending on a million variables. I still run them on my two displays.

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Experimentation, one of the great joys of our hobby! I know there's a lot of variables when determining whether or not to implement socks. I wanted to put out some feelers to see who is and who isn't. I should have made this a poll thread. :)

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run them part time. Usually day or 2 before a water change and I will baste the rocks and stir up some sand and the sump. They clog quick. Sometimes I'll go through two in a day.

tike

zoo keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them on my display, not in the frag tank. I also baste off my rocks once a week before a WC and then pretty much have to change the sock out.

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run them part time. Usually day or 2 before a water change and I will baste the rocks and stir up some sand and the sump. They clog quick. Sometimes I'll go through two in a day.

I use them on my display, not in the frag tank. I also baste off my rocks once a week before a WC and then pretty much have to change the sock out.

Thanks for the input! I took the one off my frag tank (it's still a baby anyway), and I'm going to try a sockless DT for a couple of weeks.

I used to religiously baste my rocks as well, but ever since I've had my MP40s there is nothing substantial hiding in the rocks that would warrant the time.

I'll report how it goes, if anyone is interested.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please update as I’m interested in seeing how it goes. I’m only 5 months in to this and have had the socks on since day one, changing every couple of days just to be safe. I would love to do away with them but have been afraid to.

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please update as I’m interested in seeing how it goes. I’m only 5 months in to this and have had the socks on since day one, changing every couple of days just to be safe. I would love to do away with them but have been afraid to.

I sure will!

Are you running a ULNS/SPS system also..??

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I had to look up what you meant by ULNS – remember, I’m still a newbie! But having said that, my water is what I would say very clean…meaning no phosphates or nitrates, using the same test kits you use for both. I run a dual reactor with carbon and Phosguard and so far my parameters have been in check. I guess that’s why I’m nervous about removing the socks, or making any changes for that matter. I do have several SPS corals and everything is doing well – again, so far!

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back