Soda Ash

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All Soda Ash is, is actually Sodium Carbonate. So basically baked baking soda. You could go to the grocery store and make your own Soda ash.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your safest bet is to buy food grade baking soda and "cook" your own. I buy a large 15 pound bag of Arm and Hammer at Sam's Club for 7 - 8 bucks. I now use Dr Randy Holmes recipe, taking 2 1/4 cups of baking soda on a cookie sheet and bake for one hour at 350F. Once cooled, this makes a gallon of ALK solution.

Fish4udog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soda ash (sodium carbonate) or swimming pool pH increaser is a common ingredient in marine aquarium pH and alkalinity increasers. Make sure to check the label to make sure the ingredients are 100% sodium carbonate.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All Soda Ash is, is actually Sodium Carbonate. So basically baked baking soda. You could go to the grocery store and make your own Soda ash.

Slight correction....baking soda is sodium BIcarbonate while soda ash is sodium carbonate. By "baking" baking soda, you drive off carbon dioxide producing soda ash.

The big advantage in using soda ash is that it's more soluble thereby allowing you to make a stronger solution.

OP
OP
M

Mathman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone.. I know the difference between sodium carbonate and bicarbonate but I was wondering if the pool supply chemical was "clean." is there really any difference in quality or is all sodium carbonate the same?

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone.. I know the difference between sodium carbonate and bicarbonate but I was wondering if the pool supply chemical was "clean." is there really any difference in quality or is all sodium carbonate the same?

How much cheaper is it? I know it's an expensive hobby so every dollar counts, but brs sells the gallon supply for <$8. That lasts me months in my 120g. Why risk it? Just use something food grade or labeled "aquarium".

Or if you are industrial scale such that you need enough that it matters, try some in one tank and reply here to let us know if everything died.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're really trying to save money your pool supply soda ash is works out to 3$ a pound you can buy a 50 pound bag of baking soda for 29.99 or .59 a pound. As above bake at 350 for an hour and you have soda ash. The pool supply soda ash may be clean enough, but it don't need to be very clean to work in a pool so may have alot of contaminates.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back