Sodium hypochlorite and prime safety

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy I have a safety question for you. Is prime safe to use to neutralize bleach indoors?

I added bleach (about 2 cups to 60 gallons) to clean my tank and let it air dry. My plan was to fill the tank back up with RO water and add some prime to neutralize any leftover bleach. I am assuming prime is sodium thiosulfate correct (if known)? Is it safe to do this indoors or could harmful gases be produced (not all that sure of the chemistry here)? Worst case I could just keep diluting by running freshwater, draining, and repeating as an alternative.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'm not Randy, but the answer is yes. Prime and other dechlorinators are regularly used for freshwater tanks and not only can be added to a bucket of chlorinated tap water indoors with no issue, it can be added directly to an established aquarium.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, any chlorine from the bleach you used to clean your tank has long since dissipated.
The only concern is if you used a bleach formula/product that contained surfactants or other additives. In that case, just rinsing well with (tap) water and wiping down the inside of the tank to remove any residue is all that would be needed.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 61 28.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 47 21.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 25 11.6%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back