Soft Coral Help

torret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to reef keeping, my tank is roughly 4 months old at this point. I got a couple of ricordea mushrooms (R. yuma) about 2 weeks ago and I noticed last night that several of the tentacles appear to be falling off. I added a damsel and an emerald crab last weekend but haven't seen either picking at the corals. One of my clowns happily eats the tentacles that fall off but otherwise I haven't seen it nipping either. They seem to just slough off randomly. Last night I say about 8 or so lying on the substrate. A xenia I added at the same time the tips of which are also began curling outward over the past few days. I've added Kent essential elements earlier this week. I have an iodine supplement coming tomorrow which I'll also add.

Parameters last night were pH: 8.2, Sal: 1.023, Amm.: 0 ppm, Nitrite: 0 ppm, Nitrate: 0 ppm, PO4: 0 ppm, Temp: 79F. The flow is fairly low, they're on the other side of some rocks from the power head on the bottom.

I'm at a loss for what to change/do, any help is appreciated.

reefer024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post pictures? Be careful dosing you can do more bad than good, if parameters fluctuate rapidly. Your salinity is a little low, also what lighting are you running? Tank size?

ReQuackulous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a pic? Also 0 nitrates and phosphates is not good. If your doing water changes you don't have to be dosing right now especially as your corals aren't very demanding. What test kits are you using?

OP
OP
T

torret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 32 gal Biocube using the stock LED lighting. Test kits are the API Reef Master Test Kit (pH, Amm, NO2-, NO3-) and the Fluval Phosphate Test Kit. I typically have been doing a 10-15% water change every 2-3 weeks.

I'll post pictures when I get home tonight.

OP
OP
T

torret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is the worst off. The other one lost one or two last night but I have seen many bright green spots floating around at night.

1927699E-583E-4AE7-9528-1B20F4BCA1F6.jpeg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they like some nutrients, 5 to 10 ppm nitrates, 0.05 to 0.15 phosphates.

OP
OP
T

torret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did a 10% water change last night with tap water to hopefully introduce some nitrate and phosphate as well as bump the salinity up slightly. Also removed the carbon filter so it's just running through the bio media and filter floss going to the return pump.

Everything looked slightly better this morning, a lot fewer tentacles on the substrate. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens.

reefer024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did a 10% water change last night with tap water to hopefully introduce some nitrate and phosphate as well as bump the salinity up slightly. Also removed the carbon filter so it's just running through the bio media and filter floss going to the return pump.

Everything looked slightly better this morning, a lot fewer tentacles on the substrate. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens.
You took out water and did a straight tap water change?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not only did you add phosphates and nitrates but you also added everything else you don’t want like iron copper silicates and other elements that you don’t want by doing tap water creates a whole Nother set of issues

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol try to keep water salinity at 1.025 and temp at 78 (give or take) and if you only have a couple fish don't stress on a water change for a bit. Let's those nitrates come up naturally with fish poop. Softies love the poop or dissolved food. I would think the salinity was your problem. Dont use tap water like everyone said. It adds too much stuff you don't want in a reef. Yuma shrooms I have like lower light low flow. Its bottom corner of my 29bio I also run no top with a light 12" off water running at 55%. Id say give it a couple days with correct salinity and temp and no water changes and see what happens

reefer024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol try to keep water salinity at 1.025 and temp at 78 (give or take) and if you only have a couple fish don't stress on a water change for a bit. Let's those nitrates come up naturally with fish poop. Softies love the poop or dissolved food. I would think the salinity was your problem. Dont use tap water like everyone said. It adds too much stuff you don't want in a reef. Yuma shrooms I have like lower light low flow. Its bottom corner of my 29bio I also run no top with a light 12" off water running at 55%. Id say give it a couple days with correct salinity and temp and no water changes and see what happens
I think you misunderstood, no one told him to do a water change with tap water.

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I'm saying like everyone said don't use tap water, or don't use tap water, like everyone said. Everyone was saying he shouldn't have I was agreeing

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back