Soft corals absorbing house fragrance

Chicken_Biscuit

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 3, 2023
Messages
113
Reaction score
51
Location
Illinois
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, so I service a customers aquarium at his house and he has a very strong fragrance diffuser in throughout his house. I recently took some sinularia trimmings and noticed my hands smelled like his fragrance he uses at his house. I thought it was just from handling some towels he handed me but the further I investigated, I realized the smell was coming from the coral! Usually when I’m chopping softies I get a pungent wet dog like smell. I called him and told him what I found and how I think his house fragrance diffuser is being sucked into the tank from his protein skimmer. We noticed when he cranked up the diffuser he had lost a couple fish and some corals but never had an explanation as to why he lost his corals and fish when his perimeters were all inline. We haven’t jumped to conclusion that’s what’s messing up his aquarium because the company claims it’s pet safe but don’t say anything about aquarium with protein skimmers sucking in air 24/7 safe. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
 
Pet safe. I got a bridge for sale. Those fragrances are not even human safe at doses we can smell at 5 feet away.
 
idk I’ve always thought carbon was enough to counter this stuff , my wife makes candles about 5 feet away from my tank and we have fresheners in every room
 
idk I’ve always thought carbon was enough to counter this stuff , my wife makes candles about 5 feet away from my tank and we have fresheners in every room
I was thinking about getting a hose on the protein skimmer from the outside of his house see if that’ll make a difference. Otherwise he had that fragrance stuff cause of his dogs, not the tank.
 
I was thinking about getting a hose on the protein skimmer from the outside of his house see if that’ll make a difference. Otherwise he had that fragrance stuff cause of his dogs, not the tank.
We have fragrance stuff because we like the house to smell good also , the tank has no smell. Skimmer aiine might help, I’d also change out the carbon
 
Hey all, so I service a customers aquarium at his house and he has a very strong fragrance diffuser in throughout his house. I recently took some sinularia trimmings and noticed my hands smelled like his fragrance he uses at his house. I thought it was just from handling some towels he handed me but the further I investigated, I realized the smell was coming from the coral! Usually when I’m chopping softies I get a pungent wet dog like smell. I called him and told him what I found and how I think his house fragrance diffuser is being sucked into the tank from his protein skimmer. We noticed when he cranked up the diffuser he had lost a couple fish and some corals but never had an explanation as to why he lost his corals and fish when his perimeters were all inline. We haven’t jumped to conclusion that’s what’s messing up his aquarium because the company claims it’s pet safe but don’t say anything about aquarium with protein skimmers sucking in air 24/7 safe. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

giphy-downsized.gif
 
I’m thinking it means that your story isn’t very believable.
What makes it not believable? Ive tried researching how this is happening but can’t find anything so I turned to forums to see if anyone else knows what going on?
 
It’s my clients house. I can’t tell him what to do with his house lol.
Oops this was me asking dvgyfresh about his house that needs fragrance to smell good. Maybe he needs new carpet.
 
Off topic/on topic. Today I walked into a clients house the had the strongest most dizzying dog smell I have ever had the displeasure of smelling in my life, I guarantee you if this guy had soft corals they would smell like wet dog times 100.
 
Off topic/on topic. Today I walked into a clients house the had the strongest most dizzying dog smell I have ever had the displeasure of smelling in my life, I guarantee you if this guy had soft corals they would smell like wet dog times 100.
I have an Aussie. They don’t smell unless you bathe them a lot on some stinky soap. I can pick out a slight root beer smell after he gets out of the river.(his weekly bath)
 
What makes it not believable? Ive tried researching how this is happening but can’t find anything so I turned to forums to see if anyone else knows what going on?
I’m not saying it isn’t. I’m saying that’s what I think the gif implies.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new