Soft plumbing trouble

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive made many posts on this, for around 4 months ive been trying to get a fitting for my seapora 56098 overflow. It has a 1' bulkhead so i decided to get a 1' barbed fitting with a 1' soft vinyl all from bulk reef supply. (Except overflow) Problem is, non of it fits and ive wasted 100s of $ trying to find a fitting and a proper bulkhead. Went to local hardware stores, home depot, etc and there is nothing. Ive been told to just get a fitting, but i dont understand fittings. Does someone mind just putting a link or something to a part i can just order or is it not that simple? Thanks

John K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to say, but drains often don’t take to soft plumbing very well. (Little movements alter friction/flow rates, can make it difficult to get and keep running smoothly). Also may not be a concern depending on the drain style and actual set up.

Anyway, could you post pictures? Hard to tell what you need from the description?

You won’t find aquarium style bulkheads or other specialty parts at the big box stores or any local hardware store I’ve ever encountered.
Usplastics.com
Mcmaster.com
Are both good places to order less common PVC fittings. Bulkheads will probably need to be ordered from an aquarium supplies place (or amazon)

T€rm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1 inch bulkhead is most likely a slip fit connection, you would need a 1 inch pvc pipe . Cut that to desired length and glue into the bulkhead! Then use a 1 inch pvc adapter to 1 inch female threaded. Which is the glued to the 1 inch pvc pipe. Then screw in a 1 inch threaded to 1 inch barb fitting. Use pipe teflon tape on the threads.

Attachments

• IMG_2791.png
    IMG_2791.png
    134.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2792.png
    IMG_2792.png
    137.5 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
H

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to say, but drains often don’t take to soft plumbing very well. (Little movements alter friction/flow rates, can make it difficult to get and keep running smoothly). Also may not be a concern depending on the drain style and actual set up.

Anyway, could you post pictures? Hard to tell what you need from the description?

You won’t find aquarium style bulkheads or other specialty parts at the big box stores or any local hardware store I’ve ever encountered.
Usplastics.com
Mcmaster.com
Are both good places to order less common PVC fittings. Bulkheads will probably need to be ordered from an aquarium supplies place (or amazon)
I can post pictures a little later, right now the aquariums pitch black so you cant see anything. But thanks for the help

John K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding…

Also in case you aren’t aware, and if so this could add to any confusion- PVC part sizes have no relation to measured dimensions. (Ie, 1” PVC has an OD larger than 1”, and ID smaller than 1”).

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive made many posts on this, for around 4 months ive been trying to get a fitting for my seapora 56098 overflow. It has a 1' bulkhead so i decided to get a 1' barbed fitting with a 1' soft vinyl all from bulk reef supply. (Except overflow) Problem is, non of it fits and ive wasted 100s of $ trying to find a fitting and a proper bulkhead. Went to local hardware stores, home depot, etc and there is nothing. Ive been told to just get a fitting, but i dont understand fittings. Does someone mind just putting a link or something to a part i can just order or is it not that simple? Thanks
Let me take a stab at this. Let's start with what exactly is the problem. When you say "none of it fits" do you mean the sizes are way off and they cannot be connected, or they "fit" but are not watertight? But before we go there, let's see some pics of what you are trying to do. Without knowing more, I think you are using the wrong barbed fitting. And to answer your other question, we need to figure what you are dealing with and whether you have any of the following mixed up or improperly applies including thread pitch, NPT, Straight Pipe, BSPT and more.

OP
OP
H

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me take a stab at this. Let's start with what exactly is the problem. When you say "none of it fits" do you mean the sizes are way off and they cannot be connected, or they "fit" but are not watertight? But before we go there, let's see some pics of what you are trying to do. Without knowing more, I think you are using the wrong barbed fitting. And to answer your other question, we need to figure what you are dealing with and whether you have any of the following mixed up or improperly applies including thread pitch, NPT, Straight Pipe, BSPT and more.
The sizes are way off, i can send a picture a little later because as of now lights are still off because im dealing with some algea. But ill post a pic in a bit. And quick note ive never plumbed anything so im gonna have trouble understanding any of those abbreviations, sorry.

John K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is such thing as a 1” male slip x 1” barb fitting. Just not available at the local (non-fish) stores

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sizes are way off, i can send a picture a little later because as of now lights are still off because im dealing with some algea. But ill post a pic in a bit. And quick note ive never plumbed anything so im gonna have trouble understanding any of those abbreviations, sorry.
Good luck with this. I am going to step off because some other posters already are showing better ideas than me. I like the fact you are using soft plumbing. But that is a different topic.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back