Softies thriving while LPS die

Casey Gore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there i have a 125 gallon reef and I am facing a bad LPS issue.
Nitrates and phosphates 0
ALK 9
Calc 350
temp 79

So my softies look amazing. I have multiple toadstools, mushrooms, kenya trees and more.
But my bubble coral, hammer coral and torch are all starting to retract and not extend at all they are the only lps I have. They look so upset and I have no idea what is causing it. A month ago everyone looked so happy.
What should I do? Once again. The softies look AMAZING and I feed corals twice a week.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running carbon? Wondering if it could be potential chemical warfare going on from the softies. Im not sure your nitrates and PO4 are zero bc the softies like "dirty" water, any algae growth in the tank like GHA?

JohnMzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water chemistry is not ok. Go ahead and repeat the tests. If your results are consistent then its your water.
Having recently been to zero nitrate land myself I can testify that not all corals react the same but most will look better with some nutrients.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google the word "allelopathy".

Keeping soft corals and stony corals in the same tank starts a war that the soft corals do their best to win my secreting turpines into the water that harm the stony corals. Step up your water changes, make sure your skimmer is running well, and run carbon in a reactor to help mediate the problem.

FWIW - the parameters you have listed are all well within "normal" ranges, although I don't see a Alkalinity result.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture would be a big help.

Given the gradual downward trend, one might suspect not enough light.
Coral placement could also be contributing, but would need a pic
Also, most of the corals you name that are struggling are euphylia. Could be a flatworm or other pest issue, or could be flow (too much, not enough, or not varied.) They're not the easiest lps to keep and don't do especially well when the flow isn't varied and random.

Also agree w running carbon cuz... why not run carbon :cool:

Back