Software to convert test results into a graph?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of software that can be used to input my digital test result numbers and convert them into a graph? I do not use any monitors but want to graph my alkalinity results just looking for trends.
Free would be awesome. I would prefer to us PC. I'll also mention I'm somewhat tech challenged so easy is good :winking-face:

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excel does this. Are you talking about something that will pull directly from the testing device or numbers you manually enter?

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
google sheets - it's a freeware spreadsheet

https://www.google.com/sheets/about/
Thanks. I've tried sheets. Its actually what I use to keep track of stuff. Problem I have is it stacks the results so for instance if I have 4 days at 8.6 and 1 day at 9 it stacks the 8.6 days and the graph is higher than the 9. I would like to have it by date or at least in sequence with each reading being individual and not overlaying another day with the same result. I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to using office type of software so its probably me.
graph.jpg

Excel does this. Are you talking about something that will pull directly from the testing device or numbers you manually enter?
I'm trying to convert the results as shown above using sheets without stacking the numbers that are the same. As stated I'm really incompetent with this kind of stuff. I have an old copy of office 2010 installed but am more clueless with excel than sheets :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very easy to do with excel and google sheets as mentioned. youtube is best friend

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you want to do a line chart, not a bar graph.
Ya tried that and it still stacks them peaking the 8.6 higher than 9

very easy to do with excel and google sheets as mentioned. youtube is best friend
Will probably check later. I'm not much a YouTube fan. It's an old guy thing :winking-face:

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1699543711680.png

So Sheets will do what you're asking, I've just entered some arbitrary dates and dKH values it automatically map them out at even intervals on a time line chart for you.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1699543711680.png

So Sheets will do what you're asking, I've just entered some arbitrary dates and dKH values it automatically map them out at even intervals on a time line chart for you.
I don't know. I thought maybe it was the way I set the sheet up from the beginning. If I start an new one and just enter dates and numbers like you did and select the dates then insert chart I get the following which I have no idea the meaning. If I select just the result vs date I get the same screen.
20231109_110455.jpg

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So use your table you have there; go to Insert>Chart, then under Chart Type select Line Chart (smooth if you prefer arcs to lines), then down under X Axis click Add X series and highlight your dates, under Y highlight your dKH values.

If the chart options don't immediately appear, click the three dots in the top right of the chart to open it up.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excel, sheets, numbers. First is adding the data. Then setting it up such that you can make the graph(s) with proper labels. Once the data is added then you just need a bit of trial and error to learn how it works to present what you are after. It more than likely will be just reformatting the data / order or adding the proper labels and axis.

You don't need youtube but you may end up doing a few searches on your favorite search engine for tips. Folks here are giving you good tips.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everyone's help. I'm going to go crawl back under a rock where I'm comfortable. We don't have to deal with y and x axis there. LOL I cant even find a place to add or change a Y axis in sheets :zany-face:
1699549068438.png

Click on the chart so it's highlighted and you should see these dots appear, click them, then select edit chart.
The chart editor should appear on the side of the screen and look something like this:
1699549153617.png

Now you can select he X-Axis data then the Y-Axis data.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1699549068438.png

Click on the chart so it's highlighted and you should see these dots appear, click them, then select edit chart.
The chart editor should appear on the side of the screen and look something like this:
1699549153617.png

Now you can select he X-Axis data then the Y-Axis data.
There is no Y axis available unless Series is Y which makes no sense to me but even if that's the case it says my selection of the alk row is invalid.

sheets.jpg

My heads hurts. I'm going to take go take a nap
super-bowl-live-under-a-rock.gif

MugiwaraGrape

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of software that can be used to input my digital test result numbers and convert them into a graph? I do not use any monitors but want to graph my alkalinity results just looking for trends.
Free would be awesome. I would prefer to us PC. I'll also mention I'm somewhat tech challenged so easy is good :winking-face:
As people have mentioned just input your data into excel and do a line graph. As for the same results stacking, as long as one of your axis is dates that should be impossible as dates don’t stack. This could be an issue with your formatting of the dates. Graphing x as a date and y as your result value should alleviate this issue entirely.

All in all there should be no reason to have multiple results stacking with different dates attached.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back