!*!*!**! Solar Eclipse 2017 !*!*!*!*!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy........... writing this you guys think I'm crazy, but just want to point out something that I experienced 38 years ago, "Total Solar Eclipse"
We had a last one in 1979 and many still remember that event but how little we knew about our reef tanks.
Pretty sure majority hobbyist in the hobby now weren't even born or in the hobby at that time.
I did experienced some weird event on that day as my fish were swimming erratically in the tank both fresh and salt water.
Even when I went to the LFS that day as that was your only info source that time and they experienced the same event.
Talking later in our weekend meeting with other hobbyist only the few that had their lights on did noticed something weird and that time we didn't had much of lights, most were running T12 a few VHO's
Anybody else remember this event and if so what about if you had a aquarium of some sort?

That said I'm going to program my lights to reduce it to 67%, so only 23% of my light will be on next Monday 08/21 just in case of any weird effects.
The reason I do the 23/67% ratio is that Houston will experience not a total solar eclipse but only 67% of it.
In any other parts of the US it's different of course, but you can google your area.
We all know that animals have a better sense of noticing any change in weather pattern due to the barometric pressure and I just want to help them a little to ease the stress.
Any thoughts??

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was not alive for that but following along because this is pretty interesting to hear about..

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet our Kuhli loaches will go crazy!

Any kind of Kuhli's will be active as they already go nuts when a storm rolls in.

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, @kireek.
You will be in the path of darkness

Path-Through-Oregon.jpg

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember the 79 total eclipse, was living in Tri Cities, WA. Didn't have any tanks at the time though so not sure what kind of effect it will have. With artificial lighting you would think there wouldn't be much impact but animals seem to be pretty sensitive to natural phenomena.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, @kireek.

Path-Through-Oregon.jpg
Well tell the neighborhood,lol.

One of my local fish stores announced that they would be closed all day.This may effect some aquariums to a minor degree.Be sure that you are stocked up on corals !

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very interesting. Be interesting to timelapse my tank the day before and day of!

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well tell the neighborhood,lol.

One of my local fish stores announced that they would be closed all day.This may effect some aquariums to a minor degree.Be sure that you are stocked up on corals !

I'll build a little party Monday, eclipse or not a bit of Blueberry Moonshine and we say "lights Out"
moonshine-L.jpg

Besides we have another Eclipse planned in 2024.
We going to call that TEXclipse as it will be right over Houston :)

BADXGILLEN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet our Kuhli loaches will go crazy!
These and certain catfish are the only fish I see with noticeable behavioural changes in the aquariums. Maybe I should be keeping an eye on the fish with better lateral line development like the eels and toadfish too.

Any kind of Kuhli's will be active as they already go nuts when a storm rolls in.

Our loaches and Kuhlis are especially nutty party animals, so there should be quite a ruckus in that tank.

BTW, @kireek.

Path-Through-Oregon.jpg
Path of darkness is right. It is going to be pretty "congested" here in our neck of the woods that day. I think we are going to stay home with the kids and observe things from there.

And the "moonshine" should help you out with the slight lack of Sunshine.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I remember my brother being effected. He grew hairy with fangs and claws. We had to lock him in the garage until it was over. :D

Cary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember one in 1977 when I was in Galveston...or maybe it was 1979.......lol

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know 2024 we will have a total Solar Eclipse over Houston but getting more than prepped for today's Eclipse.
IMG_2591.JPG
IMG_2587.JPG

Oh I know I do a little overkill but better save than sorry
With 7 shades with a UV protection rate of at least 4 that gives me 7x4 gives me 28 and NASA recommends 12 or higher.
For that I believe I'm in the safe zone :cool:

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was 13 years old and had a freshwater tank. I don't remember how the fish acted but I do remember watching Dukes of Hazard, Mork & Mindy, Fantasy Island, The Love Boat and Dallas. Now we are stuck with stupid reality shows.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know 2024 we will have a total Solar Eclipse over Houston but getting more than prepped for today's Eclipse.
IMG_2591.JPG
IMG_2587.JPG

Oh I know I do a little overkill but better save than sorry
With 7 shades with a UV protection rate of at least 4 that gives me 7x4 gives me 28 and NASA recommends 12 or higher.
For that I believe I'm in the safe zone :cool:

Now @Diesel ,let it be known that regular sunglasses are not sufficient.;Watching
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the path of total darkness... looking forward to it. My tank is only cycling, so no inhabitants to see if anything weird would happen.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back