Solenoid placement on RODI

AlpineM5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to use a Hydros controller to sense when my fresh water reservoir is low and turn on my RODI until it is full. I plan to turn on the RODI with their 12v electric solenoid and use their optical sensors for the reservoir water level.

My question is where do I put the solenoid? Most of what I see is people putting the solenoid on the product water line. But won't the RODI constantly produce waste water this way? I've also read that the contaminants in the tap water can cause early failure of the solenoid. So is it not recommended to put it on the input line to the RODI?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Louis

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @AlpineM5. You are correct that if you place the solenoid in the permate line that it will continue to produce Brine "Waste" water. You would notice in the fact that you would be using a ton of DI resin and be wondering why.

If it were me and I did not use a ASO I would either place it right before the membrane or place a sediment filter first in the supply line and then place the solenoid after that before your RO unit. You can pick up a basic single canister for a sediment filter just about anywhere like BRS or Spectrapure or even your local home store.

You could also place a ASO valve in your RO loop and with that installed you would be able to install the solenoid on the Permeate "product" water line without the worry of waste water being constantly ran through the DI resin.

There are any different options so its all in how you would like to do it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlpineM5

AlpineM5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @AlpineM5. You are correct that if you place the solenoid in the permate line that it will continue to produce Brine "Waste" water. You would notice in the fact that you would be using a ton of DI resin and be wondering why.

If it were me and I did not use a ASO I would either place it right before the membrane or place a sediment filter first in the supply line and then place the solenoid after that before your RO unit. You can pick up a basic single canister for a sediment filter just about anywhere like BRS or Spectrapure or even your local home store.

You could also place a ASO valve in your RO loop and with that installed you would be able to install the solenoid on the Permeate "product" water line without the worry of waste water being constantly ran through the DI resin.

There are any different options so its all in how you would like to do it.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply.

It's good to know that my suspicion was correct.

I like the idea of placing the solenoid after the sediment filter or adding another sediment filter.

I also didn't think about using a ASO. I see how that would work too. That would also allow me to place my solenoid much closer to my controller.

All great points. I'll have to think about which I will want to do, but you put me on the right track.

Thanks again!

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always happy to help out! Let me know what you decide to do.

Happy Reefing!!

cobast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not put the solenoid at your tap? If you leave the system under pressure all the time you're asking for something to burst or detach. I've had a couple of hoses pop off or burst and this helps prevent that.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back