Some 40 Gallon Breeder suggestions needed.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so picking up in a little bit a 40b. Petco 50% off plus i have a giftcard from Christmas.

So here goes the question.
Lighting:
I currently have 3 ai primes, 2 running on my 20 gallon 1 in a box. Enough for sps?

Overflow: suggestions welcome, not hob. Was looking at the eshopps ones but open to something less expensive. Not diy i have enough projects with spring here and bees.

Sand: was thinking fiji pink dry sand? I like the look better than special grade.

Rocks: how do users of tonga branch rock attach pieces together. I tried water weld. This did not go well. Admittedly ive never used epoxy before. Id like to use my current fiji rock blended with branch rock to create an aquascape thats not the wall of rock in my 20l lol. Id like the branch rock to go horizontal the attachment needs to be sturdy enough for that. Concrete and let soak in fw till ph effect goes away?

Stocking: besides a better aquascape id like to add 2 more fish total of 5.
Current stock:
Pair of o clowns
And purple fire fish

How does the addition of
Blenny
Ive never kept one would this be too small for a starry blenny? Better with a 2 spot?

And a wrasse, suggestions on type welcome
Id like to possibly eat fw, i dont have any atm but some line of defense in case ever entered. But not necessary point, something colorful, peaceful with current stock and will be happy in a 40b at full size main deciding factors. Was looking at possum wrasses? But id like to see the fish, half the post i read say they hide 22 hours a day.

I will build the stand, I understand wood working better than I understand plumbing.

Pumps, skimmer, ato, heater are all oversized on my 20 and will just move over.

If i forgot a point suggestions welcome there too :)

Patiently awaiting feedback.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so picking up in a little bit a 40b. Petco 50% off plus i have a giftcard from Christmas.

So here goes the question.
Lighting:
I currently have 3 ai primes, 2 running on my 20 gallon 1 in a box. Enough for sps?

Overflow: suggestions welcome, not hob. Was looking at the eshopps ones but open to something less expensive. Not diy i have enough projects with spring here and bees.

Sand: was thinking fiji pink dry sand? I like the look better than special grade.

Rocks: how do users of tonga branch rock attach pieces together. I tried water weld. This did not go well. Admittedly ive never used epoxy before. Id like to use my current fiji rock blended with branch rock to create an aquascape thats not the wall of rock in my 20l lol. Id like the branch rock to go horizontal the attachment needs to be sturdy enough for that. Concrete and let soak in fw till ph effect goes away?

Stocking: besides a better aquascape id like to add 2 more fish total of 5.
Current stock:
Pair of o clowns
And purple fire fish

How does the addition of
Blenny
Ive never kept one would this be too small for a starry blenny? Better with a 2 spot?

And a wrasse, suggestions on type welcome
Id like to possibly eat fw, i dont have any atm but some line of defense in case ever entered. But not necessary point, something colorful, peaceful with current stock and will be happy in a 40b at full size main deciding factors. Was looking at possum wrasses? But id like to see the fish, half the post i read say they hide 22 hours a day.

I will build the stand, I understand wood working better than I understand plumbing.

Pumps, skimmer, ato, heater are all oversized on my 20 and will just move over.

If i forgot a point suggestions welcome there too :)

Patiently awaiting feedback.

Three AI Primes would be more than enough, you could probably even get away with two, but for good coverage and because you already have it, I say use all three :)
For overflow, if you're comfortable drilling i'd strongly recommend the Eshopps Eclipse S or M. The S is capable of 600 gallons per hour and it's the one I currently use on my 40 breeder. For sand the Fiji Pink sand works perfectly and it's also what I use in my 40 breeder lol. Reef Puddy would hold your rocks together, make sure it's the purple stuff. Pair of clowns, purple firefish are great choices. You could also add maybe a scooter blenny (I had one) or a starry blenny. Or a sixline wrasse.

NewbsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 primes would be enough, im running 2 hydras 26 hd over mine with sps, duncans and zoas. For the overflow im running the glass holes 700gph kit. Comes with everything to drill it. Pricey but worth it.
20180323_121735.jpg

OP
OP
Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all :).
Will post individual replies when home.
I remember why i dont buy fish here. Placards for Pakistani butterfly 45 gallons. Swallow tail angel 25.
Customer asks for algae eating fish. The sales rep telling customer oh 10 gallon a bristle nose pleco will go great in there.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drilling would be best. Six line wrasse can become a big bully imo. Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok not sure how to do multiple quotes will use tags lol.

@crabs_mcjones
Was looking at those overflows. Think starry blenny is decided on. Girlfriend’s input tank is in the bedroom so need her ok with the upgrade [emoji23]. Particular brand of puddy?

@sinfin52 flasher wrasse are a gorgeous group of fish.
We kept butterflies growing up i just couldnt imagine keeping them in something with such a small footprint. One day ill have a butterfly, but not one soon lol.

@NewbsReef thanks for the suggestion!

Used my points on brs for the rock attachment purchase. I have some acrylic poles left over from dosing containers might drill them in to make this a little easier.

OP
OP
Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed my mind on the stand, i ordered one for this tank. Will take the build time to finally finish the stand on my planted, its only been 6 years since i built it, it was always supposed to be more than a frame [emoji23].
This way all of the tanks match.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...rium-white-gloss-fish-tank-stand-up-to-40-gal
Really thought about how much time i actually had in my workshop once im building supers and frames. And still supposed to build another pergola for grape vines.
Will start a build thread once stand is up.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed my mind on the stand, i ordered one for this tank. Will take the build time to finally finish the stand on my planted, its only been 6 years since i built it, it was always supposed to be more than a frame [emoji23].
This way all of the tanks match.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...rium-white-gloss-fish-tank-stand-up-to-40-gal
Really thought about how much time i actually had in my workshop once im building supers and frames. And still supposed to build another pergola for grape vines.
Will start a build thread once stand is up.
Let me know when you get this. I'd love to know the dimensions of the cabinet as I've been looking for a new stand for my tank :)

underwood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the glassholes 700 gph kit as well. Anything low profile like that should work out great.

Since the 40b is small enough that one person can pick it up and move it around, I went ahead and painted the back black and the bottom beige (bare bottom). Might be worth considering before you drill for the overflow.

OP
OP
Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ordered the eclipse overflow and 40lbs of dry fiji pink.
BRS

Another tub of DD h2ocean salt.
Marine Depot

Need a larger mixing container [emoji23]

Run down on what will on this build:
Eshopps eclipse s
2 eflux 2100 circulation pumps.
Eflux dc pump
All run by Loop Bluetooth controller.
Eshopps x-160 skimmer
Aquatop media reactor. Carbon and phosguard.
3 ai prime hd
Hydrofill ATO
Inkbird temperature controller
Jebao dosing pump running ATI essentials and silica.
Lumini asta light for fuge. Chinese version of a kessil lol.
Lid up in the air, my cat likes to jump on my tank, think this means im stuck with eggcrate.
BRS 4 stage ro/di

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ordered the eclipse overflow and 40lbs of dry fiji pink.
BRS

Another tub of DD h2ocean salt.
Marine Depot

Need a larger mixing container [emoji23]

Run down on what will on this build:
Eshopps eclipse s
2 eflux 2100 circulation pumps.
Eflux dc pump
All run by Loop Bluetooth controller.
Eshopps x-160 skimmer
Aquatop media reactor.
3 ai prime hd
Hydrofill ATO
Inkbird temperature controller
Jebao dosing pump running ATI essentials and silica.
Lumini asta light for fuge. Chinese version of a kessil lol.
Lid up in the air, my cat likes to jump on my tank, think this means im stuck with eggcrate.
BRS 4 stage ro/di
Looking good :) are you going to hard plumb it or rubber line?

OP
OP
Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good :) are you going to hard plumb it or rubber line?

I think hard plumb, i will probably add UV some point in the future unions make adding an inline unit a lot easier. Periodic UV usage because i hate algae lol. I swear i beat one algae another shows up. I got bubble algae from chaeto. Beat that GHA shows up. Beat that, bryopsis. Deal with the bryopsis, Now i see dinos on my back glass lol.
Will probably let the nitrates rise a bit, i went a little too hard dropping nutrients. None of these have over taken the tank.

Least its not the cyano battle my planted is having after my co2 regulator broke lol. Lost like 2/3 of my plants. 2 months finally winning that one.(i took the long route, let plants out preform the algae) This hobby is a frustrating one at times [emoji13]
Last night found a sea spider on a wild aussie millie frag that had bleached a little. Wonder if my initial theory of “its wild and acclimating poorly” was actually correct.
Like i said Frustrating lol.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think hard plumb, i will probably add UV some point in the future unions make adding an inline unit a lot easier. Periodic UV usage because i hate algae lol. I swear i beat one algae another shows up. I got bubble algae from chaeto. Beat that GHA shows up. Beat that, bryopsis. Deal with the bryopsis, Now i see dinos on my back glass lol.
Will probably let the nitrates rise a bit, i went a little too hard dropping nutrients. None of these have over taken the tank.

Least its not the cyano battle my planted is having after my co2 regulator broke lol. Lost like 2/3 of my plants. 2 months finally winning that one.(i took the long route, let plants out preform the algae) This hobby is a frustrating one at times [emoji13]
Last night found a sea spider on a wild aussie millie frag that had bleached a little. Wonder if my initial theory of “its wild and acclimating poorly” was actually correct.
Like i said Frustrating lol.
I hear ya. When you order your plumbing parts make sure you get a good gate valve, don't cheap out on that part. And also get some sort of anti drain back valve for added redundancy on your return line.
rH9ok3zl.jpg

D3nGiMzl.jpg

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya. When you order your plumbing parts make sure you get a good gate valve, don't cheap out on that part. And also get some sort of anti drain back valve for added redundancy on your return line.
rH9ok3zl.jpg

D3nGiMzl.jpg

Is your pvc secured to your stand at all? I’m about to plumb my breeder and I have what I hope is an irrational fear that the weight of the pvc will cause the back panel to crack.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your pvc secured to your stand at all? I’m about to plumb my breeder and I have what I hope is an irrational fear that the weight of the pvc will cause the back panel to crack.
You can't see them in the picture, but I do have brackets that hold the pipes to the stand right before the two lines split off to go to the main drain and the emergency drain.

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't see them in the picture, but I do have brackets that hold the pipes to the stand right before the two lines split off to go to the main drain and the emergency drain.

So they’re secured to the back? Do they need to be supported from the bottom or is from the back sufficient (not sure if that makes sense)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they’re secured to the back? Do they need to be supported from the bottom or is from the back sufficient (not sure if that makes sense)
I don't have any support from the bottom. They're clamped to the side and the clamps tighten down on the pipe so that holds them up.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back