Some live rock questions

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29gal tank with a 20gal sump below. I just got it running 2 days ago and it’s bare except for some matrix and a filter sock. I also have a skimmer running just to break in. I’m picking up 40lbs of live sand tomorrow along with some chaeto. I have a Mars aqua 165w coming in on the 16th and until then I just have a cheap full spectrum led for DT. I’m planning on getting 40lbs of live rock from KP Aquatics. Should I wait for the new light to come in or will it be fine with the cheap one until the new one comes in? Can I cycle the tank with the live rock (Just chuck it in when it comes in) or should I cycle my tank with the sand first and then live rock? Here’s a couple pictures of my set up just to give you guys an idea. Any advice on cycling and just anything will be very helpful as this is my first reef tank and I’m learning a lot as I go.

25443C97-793F-4BBB-AD34-3DA2516B4F8F.jpeg 15F0CF8A-77B7-4DB6-9E07-7109D3120705.jpeg 3BA5C177-8726-4836-9528-14460297EAC3.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off the lights when cycling. The only thing that will use it at this point is algae.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off the lights when cycling. The only thing that will use it at this point is algae.
I leave all the lights off, just turned them on for the sake of a picture. Refugium light will be on about 8-12 hrs a night once i get the chaeto in.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking like a nice start!

Cycle the sand and rock at same time. Do not run a light on it while its cycling (or id say even for the first several weeks after adding a fish) since that would just be adding a fuel source for nuisance algae and it wont do anything for cycling. I would also wait on the chaeto until you have some livestock in the tank. No need for it yet since the only nutrients in the system (ammonia) are ones you want to start the cycle.

If you want to jumpstart your bio-cycle significantly, pick up a cycling bacteria (I use Fritz FritzZyme 9, theres also Microbacter7, Biospira, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking like a nice start!

#1 - While many say you need to 'presoak' the dryrock, its not really necessary. This used to be the case when dry rock was actually calcified coral and still had dead matter buildup on it (Pukani), but now its all limestone (calcium carbonate) without organics. Just rinse it thoroughly in RO water before placing in your tank.

#2 - You cycle the sand and rock at same time. Do not run a light on it while its cycling (or id say even for the first several weeks after adding a fish) since that would just be adding a fuel source for nuisance algae and it wont do anything for cycling. I would also wait on the chaeto until you have some livestock in the tank. No need for it yet since the only nutrients in the system (ammonia) are ones you want to start the cycle.

#3 - If you want to jumpstart your bio-cycle significantly, pick up a cycling bacteria (I use Fritz FritzZyme 9, theres also Microbacter7, Biospira, etc).
I am going to be using uncured live rock from KP aquatics. It is my understanding that in order to preserve as much of the coralline algae and other possible photosynthetic life I need to have light. That’s why I asked if I should wait until the Mars Aqua comes in or if the cheap led will be sufficient until it comes in.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be using uncured live rock from KP aquatics. It is my understanding that in order to preserve as much of the coralline algae and other possible photosynthetic life I need to have light. That’s why I asked if I should wait until the Mars Aqua comes in or if the cheap led will be sufficient until it comes in.
oh my bad, I was only familiar with their dry rock. Yeah the cheap led would be fine, it doesn't take much at all to maintain the coralline growth though, just ambient light in the room would be fine for now too.

Even when you get your MARS, run it at a low intensity for a while to avoid algae issues.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh my bad, I was only familiar with their dry rock. Yeah the cheap led would be fine, it doesn't take much at all to maintain the coralline growth though, just ambient light in the room would be fine for now too.

Even when you get your MARS, run it at a low intensity for a while to avoid algae issues.
No worries! Thank you though for your knowledge.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I’m on here does anyone know how long it’ll take from placing my order to when it’s shipped out? If not I can always just contact them

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the 15 LB in water on Sunday, it shipped out on Monday evening and I got it a little after 9 AM Tuesday

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave all the lights off, just turned them on for the sake of a picture. Refugium light will be on about 8-12 hrs a night once i get the chaeto in.

Ah I reread and realized what you asked. That cheap light should be ok for the rock.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it always arrive in the mornings? Because I live in a somewhat rural place and UPS and FedEx have a bad rep of not making here until afternoons and I never have an afternoon free between afternoon classes and work. @fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it always arrive in the mornings? Because I live in a somewhat rural place and UPS and FedEx have a bad rep of not making here until afternoons and I never have an afternoon free between afternoon classes and work. @fishface NJ
are you getting it shipped in water or uncured rock? If shipped in water usually early morning. Uncured (it's wrapped in wet newspaper) can be any time during the day. You should get a tracking number from KP.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you getting it shipped in water or uncured rock? If shipped in water usually early morning. Uncured (it's wrapped in wet newspaper) can be any time during the day. You should get a tracking number from KP.
Im getting uncured. But I contacted them and he said the only way to truly avoid it is to ship it to my nearest distribution center and I can pick it up from there. Nearest one is 30 min away from me but beats it coming when I’m not home!

Back