OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Over the years I've received many messages regarding how I keep my tanks or other various tips and tricks regarding sps keeping. My general approach is to keep things simple. All of my tanks always compromise these 3 aspects.

1. Robust Biological Filtration
- Probably the most important aspect, yet often overlooked.
This point emphasizes the cycling process of the aquarium. I was left scratching my head a while back in regards to why one of my tanks had issues.
My tank had algae problems and could not grow sps and achieve the colors I wanted. I was frustrated and had the idea to re-seed my tank's micro-community. It worked! over the course of the month my algae issues diminished and I noticed visible improvement in coral health and growth.

2. Calcium Reactor
- My opinion: Hands down the best way
All my tanks have one, they have greatly reduced my overall maintenance and allow for complete replenishment of the building blocks for coral growth, since we're essentially reusing coral for coral growth

3. Efficient Flow
-Flow before light! Worry about lighting after!
In my experience proper flow should be priority #1 in all SPS tanks in regards to proper coral growth.
(Coloration is another issue)

As I have told many over the years, Lighting and everything else is second priority, since if you can't grow it in the first place, how are you going to make it look pretty, right?

Strong flow allows proper delivery of nutrients to the coral and reduces the chance of rtn
Minimizing dead spots and ensuring that your aquascape and tank has little to no detritus build up is key in maintaining beautiful SPS. By not letting detritus accumulate we are actively proactively denying the growth of unwanted nuisance algae.

These 3 aspects are the fundamentals of my philosophy.

So here are the bite sized take-aways of my philosophy

1. Establish strong Biological community
- lots of liverock, or other substitutes
- refugium if possible
- Strong Filtration( skimmer,zeovit,etc)

2. Calcium Reactor
- become familiar with one
- It will help keep stable parameters and will be key for lower overall maintenance

3. Efficient Flow
- minimize dead spots
- don't let detritus build up
- proper delivery

I hope this helps anyone who decides to read this thread!

As Always Happy Reefing,
Allan

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The long awaited Full Tank Shot!
This is the tank that started it all for me, been chugging along with me for over 20 years now!
F6E4FFE3-BDE3-4531-B56A-9CBC47B75A91.jpeg
Allan, 20 years same tank????? I seriously wanted to know the tank builder... :)

Last edited:

sam.veilleux30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I've received many messages regarding how I keep my tanks or other various tips and tricks regarding sps keeping. My general approach is to keep things simple. All of my tanks always compromise these 3 aspects.

1. Robust Biological Filtration
- Probably the most important aspect, yet often overlooked.
This point emphasizes the cycling process of the aquarium. I was left scratching my head a while back in regards to why one of my tanks had issues.
My tank had algae problems and could not grow sps and achieve the colors I wanted. I was frustrated and had the idea to re-seed my tank's micro-community. It worked! over the course of the month my algae issues diminished and I noticed visible improvement in coral health and growth.

2. Calcium Reactor
- My opinion: Hands down the best way
All my tanks have one, they have greatly reduced my overall maintenance and allow for complete replenishment of the building blocks for coral growth, since we're essentially reusing coral for coral growth

3. Efficient Flow
-Flow before light! Worry about lighting after!
In my experience proper flow should be priority #1 in all SPS tanks in regards to proper coral growth.
(Coloration is another issue)

As I have told many over the years, Lighting and everything else is second priority, since if you can't grow it in the first place, how are you going to make it look pretty, right?

Strong flow allows proper delivery of nutrients to the coral and reduces the chance of rtn
Minimizing dead spots and ensuring that your aquascape and tank has little to no detritus build up is key in maintaining beautiful SPS. By not letting detritus accumulate we are actively proactively denying the growth of unwanted nuisance algae.

These 3 aspects are the fundamentals of my philosophy.

So here are the bite sized take-aways of my philosophy

1. Establish strong Biological community
- lots of liverock, or other substitutes
- refugium if possible
- Strong Filtration( skimmer,zeovit,etc)

2. Calcium Reactor
- become familiar with one
- It will help keep stable parameters and will be key for lower overall maintenance

3. Efficient Flow
- minimize dead spots
- don't let detritus build up
- proper delivery

I hope this helps anyone who decides to read this thread!

As Always Happy Reefing,
Allan
Will frame near the tank to keep in mind!
Jokes aside, thanks for the description of your method.
Never had a calcium reactor, the learning curve is somewhat intimidating but that's something i saw over the years: most mature reefs run those.

By the way the tropic thunder monti is awesome!
Never heard of it, but now i will keep an eye for it.

AlainD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You talk about strong flow. I think that you use 4 mp40 in your 120g. Can you share the Mobius program that you use.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an inspiring thread! Can't believe it can look so good. Im about 2.5 hours from ya. Can I get some of that cool yellow encrusting monti on the bottom? Whats that guy called? Looking at your top 3 philosophy I just bumped my flow rates up again only to get a positive response from the coral. The tanks an algae producing machine but I think because it isn't near the age yours is.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What an inspiring thread! Can't believe it can look so good. Im about 2.5 hours from ya. Can I get some of that cool yellow encrusting monti on the bottom? Whats that guy called? Looking at your top 3 philosophy I just bumped my flow rates up again only to get a positive response from the coral. The tanks an algae producing machine but I think because it isn't near the age yours is.
That monti is my CRT Tropic Thunder, and I’ve noticed my oldest tank rarely develops algae, perhaps it’s because of its age.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
School's out, been a heck of a semester.

Finally had some time to fly back home and enjoy the tanks again :)

_DSC2365.JPG

CRT Delight, absolute stunner!!!

_DSC2370.JPG

TGC Megatron

_DSC2372.JPG

CRT Undertaker

_DSC2376.JPG

CRT Monstro

_DSC2379.JPG

RR Asia Multicolor Matrix
Stunning!
You have such a beautiful collection, thank you for sharing :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back