Some questions about some test kits

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people knock API test kits. IMHO they are very close to being just as good as Red Sea or my go to brand Salifert. I used API for many years and never had ant issues. I can afford better now so I use Salifert. When I made the switch I tested the API results against the Salifert results and they came out the same every time (dozens of test comparisons).
The only real difference is the API test kits do not have as fine a scale as the others, but that really does NOT make them less accurate!

If budget is an issue, use the API and you'll be fine. The biggest issue I think people have with test kits of any kind, is not doing the tests carefully and exactly the same way every time.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it can look enticing but I would go with Salifert. Testing equipment is not something you want to skip out on.

You are talking about the measuring things in your tanks water that you are about to spend hundreds and hundreds on to fill with coral. Do risk it to save a few bucks,seriously.

Plus,this has been covered about 1000x already.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m my opinion.. API no matter how accurate or inaccurate it is, is much harder to determine the color of the sample next to the chart. Maybe it’s the glass vile they use or the many shades that are not too different from one another.
I like the Red Sea tests. They are easier to read. I’ve never used salifert.
It didn’t take long and I decided Hannah was my go to for Alk, Nitrate, and Phosphates. The rest I test with Red Sea.

and I 100% love the magnetic test stirrer. It is cheap and makes testing so much faster and accurate for me when using Red Sea.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the expiration date on any kit you buy. Bad kit/reagent have fooled me before. Some of those big kits sitting around may not be the best if they've been there a while

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think choosing your test kit is better served by which brand is best (and easiest) to use on each thing your testing. If a test is accurate and very complicated to use, you most likely want test as often as you should. And if its easy and not accurate, what's the point of using it. So choose wisely with a combination or ease and accuracy.
maybe try watching this and see if it helps make a decision.

Homey D. Clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m my opinion.. API no matter how accurate or inaccurate it is, is much harder to determine the color of the sample next to the chart. Maybe it’s the glass vile they use or the many shades that are not too different from one another.
I like the Red Sea tests. They are easier to read. I’ve never used salifert.
It didn’t take long and I decided Hannah was my go to for Alk, Nitrate, and Phosphates. The rest I test with Red Sea.

and I 100% love the magnetic test stirrer. It is cheap and makes testing so much faster and accurate for me when using Red Sea.
Yes, a thousand thumbs up on the magnetic test stirrer. I use it for Red Sea as well as Aquaforest. It’s a god-send for tests requiring titration, and it will make your life much easier.

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning to use the Red Sea test kit, but noticed how cheap the API reef master kit was this is my first kit and this is for a budget build so idk which one to get. Opinions?
I like the Fluval/Nutrafin kit personally for the basics. dont have experience with API saltwater but hate their freshwater kit compared to Fluval now, and fluval can be used on all my tanks salt or fresh.
Other than that, Hanna checkers for alk/cal/copper and salifert for magnesium personally.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back