Some Reef Inspiration

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some reef inspiration from the Solomon Islands during the time I set up the coral farm.

Idyllic Island Life
IMG_0751~4.JPG

IMG_0325~2.JPG
IMG_1035.JPG

Typical Lagoon
Shallow and peaceful, underwater it's filled with enough corals within this small lagoon to supply the world's reef hobby for 20+ years--imagine all such lagoons dotted around the South Pacific
IMG_0653~4.JPG

Reminders abound that life has not always been so peaceful, evidence of WWII battles
IMG_0534.JPG

The Village Chief in his dugout canoe
SIPart5Chief~2.jpg

Politics and cultural differences aside, we work together to build trust
IMG_0988~2.JPG

Staghorn Thicket
Corals in every direction as far as the eye can see
IMG_0663~4.JPG

Massive Tables
IMG_0660~4.JPG

More Stags
IMG_0682~4.JPG

Idea for Aquascaping
IMG_0679~4.JPG

Acro in the middle of leathers
Somehow we have the idea that SPS, Softies, LPS are found in totally different settings. This is not so in many areas.
IMG_0764~5.JPG

Not all Acropora are colorful as we know them in our aquariums, most are brown with the occasional patch of crazy colors
IMG_0765~5.JPG

The original Purple Monster Acropora
IMG_0869~4.JPG

Protective moms
IMG_0405~3.JPG

IMG_0691~2.JPG

The original Superman Montipora
IMG_0860~4.JPG

Wow--great shape
IMG_0475~4.JPG

Most corals are massive--some as big as a bus
IMG_0431~4.JPG

The true Giant Clam--Gigas
IMG_0840~4.JPG

Sometimes you gotta leave home to make things happen
20161126_210755~2.jpg

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
I wonder at times what life would be like living on an island. I've always loved the ocean. It helped having a pair of Uncles that loved it too with boats. One a cruiser / fishing and the other a 40ft sail. Sailing beyond the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco was always a great time heading out to the Farralon Islands. He was going to take my brother and I on that thing and sail to Hawaii. Unfortunately I joined the Air Force and my brother the Navy.

I did live in Okinawa for 4 years. My first deployment in the Air Force. I didn't appreciate it then at 19 years old. I can look back today though and see some of the things my wife and I did do that bring back memories like just hoping in the car and driving. Any direction it was only a matter of time before you hit the ocean. Living off base away from other service men and women was also helpful. Oh well, no do overs.

Thanks for sharing the photo's. Really nice and also shows what some people can do to help the hobby while doing something they love. Rare. Not all of us have that gift.

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How does it look today in those same areas? How has it changed? Are they experiencing bleaching like other areas?
Very nice pics.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back