Solomon Islands Acropora

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Aquadude1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Florida temp thing this summer while high is possibly blown out of proportion. 1931 showed higher temps in Florida but surface water temps were not taken. It is not a fair statement to say its the highest temp in history because we do not have enough data points throughout history. It is a possibility that mass coral die offs are one of the ways reefs grow so rapidly, the dead coral skeletons providing a fresh foundation for new corals to grow. This is just a theory, I'm not claiming fact.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Florida temp thing this summer while high is possibly blown out of proportion. 1931 showed higher temps in Florida but surface water temps were not taken. It is not a fair statement to say its the highest temp in history because we do not have enough data points throughout history. It is a possibility that mass coral die offs are one of the ways reefs grow so rapidly, the dead coral skeletons providing a fresh foundation for new corals to grow. This is just a theory, I'm not claiming fact.
While storms and other events regularly destroy parts of reefs, and then new coral grows over - It is wishful thinking that the kind of mass coral die offs we are seeing today are in any way a part of any natural, positive process. Just the opposite.

Aquadude1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While storms and other events regularly destroy parts of reefs, and then new coral grows over - It is wishful thinking that the kind of mass coral die offs we are seeing today are in any way a part of any natural, positive process. Just the opposite.
I don't have enough information to blindly accept or refute that.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its good that you're not blind, so you can look at this nifty data : ) One shows how global temperatures follow Co2 concentrations in the atmosphere over the last 800,000 years. There is a natural variation, and a natural lag between when Co2 increases, and temps follow. The far right jump in Co2 is the last 100 years basically. The second chart is the last 150 years showing more detail in the jump - where Co2 concentrations correspond to temps. The Co2/temp increases started roughly with the industrial revolution, when humans started to add an unnatural amount of Co2 to the atmosphere, more quickly that at any point in the last 800,000 years. The single largest reason corals bleach, by far, is because the ocean temps have increased, because of global temp increases. As you can see from the two graphs, Co2 concentrations and temps are unnaturally high, unnaturally impacting reefs. 1+1=2. Cause and effect. Source: NOAA.
temps.png

GlobalTemp_vs_carbon_dioxide_1850-2022.png

Aquadude1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its good that you're not blind, so you can look at this nifty data : ) One shows how global temperatures follow Co2 concentrations in the atmosphere over the last 800,000 years. There is a natural variation, and a natural lag between when Co2 increases, and temps follow. The far right jump in Co2 is the last 100 years basically. The second chart is the last 150 years showing more detail in the jump - where Co2 concentrations correspond to temps. The Co2/temp increases started roughly with the industrial revolution, when humans started to add an unnatural amount of Co2 to the atmosphere, more quickly that at any point in the last 800,000 years. The single largest reason corals bleach, by far, is because the ocean temps have increased, because of global temp increases. As you can see from the two graphs, Co2 concentrations and temps are unnaturally high, unnaturally impacting reefs. 1+1=2. Cause and effect. Source: NOAA.
Both of those charts are based on levels of co2 found in ice cores. That data is circular in that it assumes the age of the ice and the earth to prove itself. There is also evidence that co2 most likely migrates put of these air pockets over time. These graphs put recent measured reproducible data on the same stage as assumptions of the past and that is not fair.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back