Something about reefing you just don't understand....

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
54,869
Reaction score
122,480
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's something about reefing that you just don't understand or don't know very well?

It could be how a piece of equipment works, certain aspects of water chemistry, how corals grow, aquarium lighting...ANYTHING!

Don't be shy! :)

1717435453087.png
 
Why people pay hundreds of dollars for a 1 inch Acro frag. Acanthophyllia I totally get. Tiny frags of SPS corals, not so much.
Fair question!

Who else?
 
jennifer lawrence everything GIF
....

But seriously, I can't wrap my mind around how to make everything in my tank simultaneously happy. If one coral is happy, the other is sad. I try to make the sad coral happy, and end up making the happy coral sad. Time, experience, and patience, I assume, will help me overcome this.
 
Coral taxonomy. I understand some scientific names, but I want to learn more about each species to tell them apart from each other and provide the best care I can.
 
One second, I got a happy little tank; the next hour, my tank inhabitants are upset.
 
Identifying fish diseases and overall health of fish. I wish I could see what others do like vetteguy.

But part of my problem is my time with a large tank was short and I refuse to put fish that will outgrow a nano into my small tanks.

I also will never overstock a tank. I probably understock with what we see in the scene today.
 
Fish Diseases. I'm (kind of) clueless. That being said I'm actively studying the issue. While I may never understand it to the point of other reefers here, I'm gonna know enough to handle things when I reboot. That much is certain.
 
PAR DLI. Is it really as easy as extending duration when using less PAR?
 
Fish Diseases. I'm (kind of) clueless. That being said I'm actively studying the issue. While I may never understand it to the point of other reefers here, I'm gonna know enough to handle things when I reboot. That much is certain.
Usually I leave that to the experts haha
 
I don't get plumbing and that makes the idea of straying away from an AIO daunting to me. Seems like there's so many ways things can go wrong when you're moving water out of one box and into another box and then back to the original box.
 
Why so many tanks are radically overstocked with fish.

Why so many tanks are running on minimal hardware, and even less knowledge.

Why anyone thinks it a good idea to go from dry tank to fully stocked in less than a year.

Why no one seems concerned about the extraordinary amount of livestock collected from the wild that dies a preventable death.
 
I personally don't get trade names. I would be fine with trade names if they were only for well-known/common color morphs, but it seems like every vendor is trying to stick their own name on any coral, even if the color morph already corresponds to a name. Like, I can see "Red People Eater" Zoa or "Prism"/"Dragon Soul" Dipsastraea/Favites, but stuff like "WWC Gatorland" Acanthastrea or "JF Contract Killer" Favites I just don't get. I personally just go by scientific names, as they bring with them more information about care requirements and stuff.
 
jennifer lawrence everything GIF
....

But seriously, I can't wrap my mind around how to make everything in my tank simultaneously happy. If one coral is happy, the other is sad. I try to make the sad coral happy, and end up making the happy coral sad. Time, experience, and patience, I assume, will help me overcome this.
Honestly, it’s a never ending endeavor. Especially with mixed tanks. I call it the juggling act. Reefing definitely has a way of keeping us humble!

juggling GIF
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new