something always failing with the trident

calimako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i've had mine for 2 years now. when it works and dialed it, it's great. but it is so dang finicky. if you sneeze around it, something will fail.
anyways, i had a heck of a time with test c failing. I finally figured it out. it was a bad batch of c reagent. replaced it, recalibrated it and it fixed it. then low and behold, couple weeks later, did a reagent change and now test b is showing CA 0. finally figured it out as my cuvette was dirty. cleaned it out, recalibrated it and now back on track. But I am realizing the older the unit gets, the more prone it is to failing at something. I am contemplating sending the unit in for maintenance, but so far it is back on track.
any of you guys also experience this?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only a year in with mine, but I try to clean the cuvette every 6 months. As long as I don't rely on the Trident calibration fluid and use my own test results it remains pretty accurate.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been rock-solid for almost 3 years now.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when it works and dialed it, it's great. but it is so dang finicky. if you sneeze around it, something will fail.
I have a love / hate relationship with this pile of plastic. Like you mention above, the tiniest thing can set this off
( I'm afraid to breath or fart around this thing )
Last night my ALK read 6.5 ( Salifert reading 7.8 )
I try to send my back for yearly maintenance.

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm only a year in with mine, but I try to clean the cuvette every 6 months. As long as I don't rely on the Trident calibration fluid and use my own test results it remains pretty accurate.
To bad they made it extremely difficult to clean the cuvette, they should have made it to where you can take out the cuvette by taking out two screws in the front or something

OP
OP
calimako

calimako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i love this thread. misery loves company. so my woes continued as test b and c started to fail again. I think I finally figured it out. The tubing is so finicky that when my reagents are on the tray and tucked into the trident, some of the reagents would not properly fill the cuvette. How did I find this out? I left the cuvette cover off and primed all 4 things, a, b, c, sample to see how they will fill the cuvette. And low and behold, when the tray was tucked into the trident, some of the reagents were not filling the cuvette, even though I swear no lines were kinked. But when I had all the reagents out of the tray and the tubing straight, all the reagents would fill the cuvette fine. After many attempts and reagents wasted, I primed each reagent in the tucked tray so it would successfully fill the cuvette during priming. I had to constantly move the tubing around until I got a good flow in the cuvette during priming. Wow, talk about finicky!

This can explain why tests would fail after I do a reagent change. So moving forward, I will always do this prime test when replacing reagents. And make sure to prime, once the reagents are tucked away in the tray of the trident to ensure they are working properly.

I did waste a lot of reagent, but then I found this
I just programmed my trident to do 1/2 the tests, so that should save me a lot of reagent in the future. So that made up for it :)

Cheers

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 176 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back