Something is off

Alex_hairymoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’ve recently been seeing my rocks look a little dirty then usual before my rocks will be more purple now I see them a lil more stained also I feel like it’s the lighting because where ever there is no light I don’t see it dirty for example under another rock like a small ledge that creates a shadow where the shadow is it’s purple how all the rocks use to be, I checked my RO water and it’s great. Here is a screen shot of my lighting graph also notice how the graph says it’s 12:10am but the actual time is 10:48. Let me know if there’s a way to adjust the timing on the miAI app also your 2 cents on the situation.. thank you

953DE372-BC64-4308-B8A8-056482804510.jpeg

11F964EB-48F6-4176-B42E-927DE03F0450.png

CA0E64CA-FB48-48B7-939D-0514A5926C5E.png

909105CF-FF01-4228-8CD8-341E4C291376.jpeg

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see anything off with the rocks in the pic.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't see anything - but - why are your lights on only for 5 hours with a 3 hour ramp time? at 30% -? I mean if thats what you you like - but - that seems way to short - and not enough light for coral (not sure whats in the tank, how big a tank, etc) - but just saying.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Barely any light delivery. Go 12hrs minimum and bring whites down to 20% and increase blue and purple to 80%

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also gonna guess it’s a new tank due to the gsp size. It’s just cycling. But your light schedule is not adequate at all, go 10-12 hours at least 6-8 peak.

OP
OP
Alex_hairymoney

Alex_hairymoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barely any light delivery. Go 12hrs minimum and bring whites down to 20% and increase blue and purple to 80%
I hear you but I’m afraid to grown algae from a lot of light tank been running 4 months but I think imma take your advice you think 4hour ramp 4 hour peak then 4 hour ramp down? Only reason why I don’t go hard on lights is like I said I’ve had the experience on my prior tank of hair algae and a lot of cyano which I have to already brush off the rocks and also sand,

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you but I’m afraid to grown algae from a lot of light tank been running 4 months but I think imma take your advice you think 4hour ramp 4 hour peak then 4 hour ramp down? Only reason why I don’t go hard on lights is like I said I’ve had the experience on my prior tank of hair algae and a lot of cyano which I have to already brush off the rocks and also sand,
I understand your concern about algae, but the alternative is far worse, algae has its purpose and is needed as I personally found out when I had a dino outbreak causing my tank to crash. You need some algae in the tank to out compete dinos and such.

OP
OP
Alex_hairymoney

Alex_hairymoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my set up redsea 350 90g only reason why I don’t bump up my lights and much is because I had bad experience back in the day with hair algae and cyano here is my graph what would you ALL change so we can come to a similar agreement and I can give it a try I have here is a pic of my corals I have noticed slow growth but since the tank is in the living room of my house I use it as a display tank help me out let me know what you would do . Thanks

0A8B0CD8-9F68-46F8-9851-A7F3F886CD5F.jpeg

OP
OP
Alex_hairymoney

Alex_hairymoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your concern about algae, but the alternative is far worse, algae has its purpose and is needed as I personally found out when I had a dino outbreak causing my tank to crash. You need some algae in the tank to out compete dinos and such.
Your tank to crash in what sense?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank to crash in what sense?
My nitrate and phosphate were at 0 ppm for a while not allowing algae to build, I ended up with cyano and dinos out competing any other algae and the dino die off caused my tank to crash, this time around I will make sure my nitrates and phosphates are at 10 ppm and .10 ppm respectively, I will promote some green algae growth to outcompete any bad algae and allow my cuc and tangs take care of the algae. Depending on what type of corals u will keep will depend on the lighting, but your peak should be at least 4 to 5 hours with a ramp up and down of 2 hours each giving you at least a 8 to 9 hour light schedule, mine is a 12 hour schedule with the peak lasting 6 hours, I have my blues at 100 percent right now, I just ramp up and down the intensity on my XR15 g4 pros. I will start to add white lighting when I start to prepare to add sps again. Right now I mainly have some lps because that all that survived.

OP
OP
Alex_hairymoney

Alex_hairymoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrate and phosphate were at 0 ppm for a while not allowing algae to build, I ended up with cyano and dinos out competing any other algae and the dino die off caused my tank to crash, this time around I will make sure my nitrates and phosphates are at 10 ppm and .10 ppm respectively, I will promote some green algae growth to outcompete any bad algae and allow my cuc and tangs take care of the algae. Depending on what type of corals u will keep will depend on the lighting, but your peak should be at least 4 to 5 hours with a ramp up and down of 2 hours each giving you at least a 8 to 9 hour light schedule, mine is a 12 hour schedule with the peak lasting 6 hours, I have my blues at 100 percent right now, I just ramp up and down the intensity on my XR15 g4 pros. I will start to add white lighting when I start to prepare to add sps again. Right now I mainly have some lps because that all that survived.
That’s also my problem as well my tank always had high nitrates I’ve done it all to lower it feed less vacuum the sand put dinitrate on my reactor and it won’t come down for anything in the world

O'l Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tweaked it up a little what do you guys think?

0AB5B5BA-6903-41DF-829F-1CFB26E420B4.png

Why are you running such a short period of time? I would raise UV and violet to 100% and raise Royal to 80%. Let the tank stabilize and don't try to manipulate nitrate or phosphate. Let it run for a couple months like that and reevaluate at that time. Everytime you change a parameter it affects everything in your tank and it becomes unstable.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back