Something killing fish slowly

BradVol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Reefer 170. First reef tank.

Fishless cycle from late March through late April. Added 2 ocellaris, some softies, and some LPS on 4/28. 9 days later one clown has been hiding a couple days, starts swimming erratically, and dies. Other one seemed ok but not great.

Replaced the dead ocellaris, new guyseemed ok for a couple days, started staying hidden, then went missing last night.

I've done 2 25% water changes in the last week. Water is in the mixing container 24 hours with powerhead, air, and heater before going in tank. I added Seachem Prime in case the tank was cycling again but that didn't get the remaining fish out of hiding.

Parameters:
78F
1.026 sg
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
5-10 nitrate
8.3 pH
1440 Mg
400 Ca
8.7 dKH
Phosphate undedectable

Other signs are a Duncan staying closed all the time and eagle eye Zoa staying mostly closed. Other corals seem fine.

Tank is running a skimmer, carbon/gfo reactor, chaeto reactor, and UV sterilizer.

I found 2 potential issues:
1. Chaeto was dying off. Probably had too much flow and was suffocating against the top of the reactor while the bioload was too small to support it. I removed the dead chaeto.
2. Jebao UV sterilizer turns water in it black when handling it. I assume it's leeching plastic into the water. This isn't a new system so it's not a new sterilizer.

I just stopped the sterilizer and cleaned up the chaeto tonight, after a 25% WC. I'm nervous to add more livestock until I can figure out the issue.

What could be causing my issue that I haven't resized?
Do I need to do a massive WC now to get as much of the leeched plastic as possible out of the tank or is that not likely the cause?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,i can only add ,think you are stripping all phosphate out,which is cause of cheato dying off,stick around for more expert opinions,best wishes :)

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the parameters you listed would cause the fish to die. If means either one of those test kits is way off, with odds being high that the Ammonia is reading wrong or your UV sterilizer is dumping something toxic into the water.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if one fish is sick there is a good chance of it spreading.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what ammonia test kit you are using? I read that seneye is the best in detecting ammonia. Added @brandon429 as he knows a lot about seneye ammonia product.

OP
OP
B

BradVol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what ammonia test kit you are using?

API, which sucks I know. And also a Seachem Alert. Both show clean. Also added prime to lock it up in case there was any ammonia but it didn't change anything.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API, which sucks I know. And also a Seachem Alert. Both show clean. Also added prime to lock it up in case there was any ammonia but it didn't change anything.

My tank cycling is also weird. It is a bit over 2 weeks now. Check out the test data on my build thread. I record it daily. My ammonia stayed around 0.5 ppm since day one even though I dosed ammonia again. But I think with mine, it was due to expired 3 years old ammonia bottle. Since I bought new ammonia batch, I got reading of 1.5 ppm.

I also heard that it is possible that in fishless cycling some experienced second cycling. This is from someone works in fish store. I don't know.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back