Something munching on Duncan

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about a month ago I woke up and noticed what seemed like a chunk missing out of the base of my Duncan. I thought maybe it was a bit of recession as I had recently moved it. That quickly started to heal over almost immediately. About a week ago I noticed another chunk identical to the last one, but now on the front. I thought this was weird but then it started to heal over as well. This morning I wake up to yet another chunk (that is smaller) taken out near one of the heads. I have included a picture below. I suspect something is munching on it after lights out. Anyone have any ideas? There is a small gorilla crab I have been trying to catch, but this doesn't seem like that kind of behavior. I also have a keyhole limpet that came in as a hitchhiker, but I have never seen on or near corals.

OP
OP
icedgxe

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Picasso clowns, a Mexican turbo, a nassarius snail, keyhole limpet (hitchhiker), a tiny hitchhiker hermit, and of course the tiny gorilla crab. There are several porcelain crabs that came in as hitchhikers as well, but I have never heard of anyone having issues with them.

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have pictures of the crabs (including the hermit), I can tell you who is the most likely suspect. I'm especially interested in the porcelain crab hitchhikers.

OP
OP
icedgxe

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any pictures of the hermit or gorilla crab. I have a couple of pictures of the porcelain crabs.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a small glass cup or jar and put some frozen fish food in it. Let the food settle to the bottom and carefully put it in the tank. All the crabs will go to it and won't be able to get out. Because, you might have another more invasive species that you have yet to see.

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell perfectly from the pictures, but it appears as if you have two separate species of porcelain crabs. One blue and one redder. Is that correct?

OP
OP
icedgxe

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to try the glass trick again. I have done it before when I was trying to catch a couple of gorilla crabs and nothing went in. Now I think my clowns would grab anything before anything else could. I may have to try the inverted bottle trap.

The porcelain crabs all look the same in person. They are red. My crappy cell pictures make them look different.

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the crabs the gorilla crab is the most likely. The porcelain crabs constantly filters the water for planktonic food so not very likely for this one. From time to time keyhole limpet can eat corals if they are hungry but that is an easy fix by adding an algae clip. Most keyhole limpet are harmless but i have had one or two munch on some things over the years that they should not be. The mark does look like something walked across the tissue happily chomping away. Fireworms can also do that if hungry, I have only had that happen once or twice and that is not common and not likely but is a possibility. I would look under the coral for any suspects when the lights are on. It is very likely that the culprit didn't go very far from the food source and is hiding under the duncan or close to it.

OP
OP
icedgxe

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll look around it while the lights are on and see if I can see anything. I've never really seen anything near it or mess with it. I was think possibly a Eunicid worm but I haven't seen anything that points to that after lights out.

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the members in the family of Eunicid worm could do that. They usually don't if they are getting enough food but you never know some individuals do acquire a taste for corals. Not often but it does happen.

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update?

My money is personally on the crab. If you can snag a pic of it, I can give you a specific ID on it.

OP
OP
icedgxe

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing yet. I've been looking at night but I haven't seen anything on or near it yet. It's healing over on the spots in question already.

OP
OP
icedgxe

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look what I caught this morning! I think there is still one more. He wasn't on the Duncan, but I still wanted him out.

Oldsofty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was watching a video about pests from tidal gardens the other day, he had a coral with an identical injury as your coral. He picked it up and low and behold, inside was a crab that was burrowing into the coral. I would bet u got the same thing. His crab was white not like the one u got there but i imagine this behavior is exhibited by more than one species of crab. Hopefully u got the culprit there....good job.

OP
OP
icedgxe

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the investigation continues. I am think about setting up my GoPro to record it overnight and see what I can find. I found a fresh chunk missing this morning.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back