5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love an ID on this:

PXL_20221212_203638851.jpg

And a video for perspective:

Looks like a fan worm of sorts. It showed up ~4weeks after I took that Palythoa island and shaved off all of the brown and green palys that were overgrowing everything. As you can see, the green palys persist. It looks like it may be coming out of a white tube. And there is a second one on the other side of the rock in a harder place to photograph.

These rocks went into the tank in mid-January 2022 from TBS (gulf premium nano rocks). Never seen this one before--I have other white and black fan worms, but never seen a colorful one.

Any ideas? It's pretty, so I hope it grows out if it's not too invasive/dangerous to corals.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tube looks similar. I also found a third one up in a higher rock, same color.

I don't have kenya trees in this tank (or at all), and I don't think they would spawn off of a frag--I'd likely see the kenya tree growing on the frag before it hopped off onto the rocks, no?

@LiverockRocks Have you seen anything like this in your rocks? Interesting that I'm seeing it 11 months after introduction of the rocks into the tank--but after a big perturbation (clearing off a palythoa rock).

Thanks!

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tube looks similar. I also found a third one up in a higher rock, same color.

I don't have kenya trees in this tank (or at all), and I don't think they would spawn off of a frag--I'd likely see the kenya tree growing on the frag before it hopped off onto the rocks, no?

@LiverockRocks Have you seen anything like this in your rocks? Interesting that I'm seeing it 11 months after introduction of the rocks into the tank--but after a big perturbation (clearing off a palythoa rock).

Thanks!
Hiya, we do see a variety of tube/fan worms. Can you snap a bit clearer photo and I’ll make sure J eyes it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back