Something New in My New Tank

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new 55 gallon tank just completed its cycle in 11 days, which may be due to starting it with 80 pounds of good live rock. One of the live rocks I purchased appears to be blooming. Anyone know what it is? I have not put anything other than live rock in my tank. I've also included a full picture of the tank.

IMG_0456.JPG SWOY1324.JPG

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was talking to a Fritz rep not too long ago that a mature tank worthy of coral has about 80 different strains of bacteria that takes months to develop and culture. I'd say 11 days in, you don't have the 80 bacteria strains to support anything blooming

Ramdude4G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was talking to a Fritz rep not too long ago that a mature tank worthy of coral has about 80 different strains of bacteria that takes months to develop and culture. I'd say 11 days in, you don't have the 80 bacteria strains to support anything blooming
He said he used live rock. So I’m pretty sure he probably does.

OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t see anything in particular in the pics. Maybe take one of them and mark what you are referring to. Also a little more description may possibly help indicate what you are referring to.
The depressions were shallower and less defined before it finished cycling. It could also just be my imagination.

Attachments

• 20211106.jpg
    20211106.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I agree that it's most likely a skeleton of corals past.
Could be my wishful thinking. The depressions just look deeper and more defined. Could also be that I just finished my light mounts and turned on my Hydra 32's. LOL.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the age of the tank have to do with how many strains of bacteria are present, op stated it was only started with live rock and that doesn't look like cheap Marco rock dumped in a bin for a month and called live.

Imo it has nothing to do with it. That live rock could have been wet before either of us were alive and could constitute a very diverse bacterial colony.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back