Something on Tang fin

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
There is a spot on my white tail tangs left fin and I just want to make sure it’s not anything serious. Lol. I don’t think it’s ich, it’s more of like a blotch on his fin and he’s had it since I got him 2 weeks ago. He’s been in full strength copper for 1 week now. He seems healthy actively swims and eats. The spot hasn’t changed at all. Pics below:
EB4CEEBC-62A1-4CA6-93F0-B8B52F6AFB28.jpeg 87B2AF25-659F-4FD1-AD5C-796036E418A2.jpeg A5C3C1EE-E0ED-4347-8EF8-2EBAF8A367F6.jpeg 471199F2-A01A-4F2A-A389-BEE85D241AEA.jpeg

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lymphocystis​

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lymphocystis​

Interesting, thanks for the link.

I noticed in the pics it also appears to be on the fin ray? (thicker part of the fin). Could it potentially be a previous injury or healing wound/injury? That was my first initial thought although lymphocystis seems probable now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I see a nick on the body which will heal on its own and viral lymphocystis which with good water quality and diet will allow it to fall off on its own
What foods are you feeding?
What is current ammonia and nitrate readings?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, thanks for the link.

I noticed in the pics it also appears to be on the fin ray? (thicker part of the fin). Could it potentially be a previous injury or healing wound/injury? That was my first initial thought although lymphocystis seems probable now.
That is probably a broken fin ray. Lymphocystis teds to start on the ends of fins and looks more angular, not round and smooth.

Jay

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a nick on the body which will heal on its own and viral lymphocystis which with good water quality and diet will allow it to fall off on its own
What foods are you feeding?
What is current ammonia and nitrate readings?
Ammonia is 0 and nitrate is 0-5 PPM. So far he's eating frozen mysis, krill plankton, fish flakes, freeze dried mysis, nori. And although he won't admit it, I believe hes scavenging the seaweed extreme wafers too once they soften up. Lol. He's still in QT so trying to get him used to a variety of foods. He's been eating real good after the first couple days.

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is probably a broken fin ray. Lymphocystis teds to start on the ends of fins and looks more angular, not round and smooth.

Jay
That's what my gut told me but wasn't sure. Thanks! Do you know how long stuff like that could take to heal? Or could it leave a permanent "scar" or mark like that? Or should it still go away in time?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ammonia is 0 and nitrate is 0-5 PPM. So far he's eating frozen mysis, krill plankton, fish flakes, freeze dried mysis, nori. And although he won't admit it, I believe hes scavenging the seaweed extreme wafers too once they soften up. Lol. He's still in QT so trying to get him used to a variety of foods. He's been eating real good after the first couple days.
Add to diet:
Spirulina brine shrimp
LRS herbivore diet
Small plankton
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Rods original diet

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what my gut told me but wasn't sure. Thanks! Do you know how long stuff like that could take to heal? Or could it leave a permanent "scar" or mark like that? Or should it still go away in time?

I'm not sure, I've seen them persist for 6 weeks anyway. I've seen them permanent on some adult groupers.

Jay

Back