Something slurped my conch and chomped my willow

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very healthy and active fighting conch. I noticed his shell was in a shallow rock cave and had not moved. Upon further investigation. I saw that the shell was sideways, which was unusual. When I moved one of the rocks to investigate a crab took off running for cover. It was about an inch or so wide and it looked like a pinkish purplish emerald crab. No chance of a picture... ninja crab went into hiding. I do know now that this is what was kicking the sand out from beneath those rocks previously.
My poor darling fighting conch was now an empty shell. I also saw later that evening that about a dime size chunk had been ripped out of a nearby weeping willow. I have some fresh TBS rock in this tank. Any idea what crab would slurp a conch and chomp a willow?

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a strawberry crab or a gorilla crab, crabs are aggressive and tend to pick on weaker individuals in the tank, larger crabs do have the ability to destroy corals trying to eat algae and other things.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a strawberry crab or a gorilla crab, crabs are aggressive and tend to pick on weaker individuals in the tank, larger crabs do have the ability to destroy corals trying to eat algae and other things.
Do I need to worry about my flame hawk or royal Gramma? Tony sleeps on that side of the tank.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was brief but the crab did not look much different than a typical emerald ... but it was definitely not green. It was much lighter, in that pink / light purple family. The flame hawk is maybe 3" but of course, he sleeps cuddled up next to the rocks on the sand bed. The gramma is about the same length, typical gramma about two years old. Fred likes little nooks and crannies - like the killer crab.
I grabbed a red flashlight and searched around last night, thinking the little bugger would show himself. No luck. I then found a discarded shell that housed my one remaining blue leg this morning. So, it's like the villain in a 90's horror movie .. wiping out my CUC while I sleep.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Identified the culprit with help from TBS. Bad hitchhiker.... Very bad apparently. So now begins the plot to return this little villain back to the Tampa Bay / Gulf of Mexico.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240108-170639.png
    Screenshot_20240108-170639.png
    901.1 KB · Views: 36

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back