Something weird on my Hollywood Stunner Chalice

  • Thread starter Thread starter ItsAName
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ItsAName

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2016
Messages
404
Reaction score
199
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About two weeks ago I noticed that at night (and only at night), I was getting these cobweb-y white dots on top of my chalice. I thought it was debris or something, but here we are two weeks later and I am still seeing it. Again, it's only at night.

Today, I noticed a long white wormy looking thing dangling from the chalice. I don't think it's alive, it just moves back and forth in the flow. I highlighted both of these in red in the pics attached to this message. In the second picture you can kind of see more than one of the cobweb-y things. Any idea what both of these things are? I'm thinking they are either related or completely two separate issues (I know, way for me to state the obvious)

Do these type of corals have nematocysts and I just never noticed before?

pic1 (1).jpg
pic2 (1).jpg
 
Looks like it is sending out Mesenterial filaments, these chalices can be super nasty to neighboring corals, but if anything ever messes with them they will RTN so quickly it will make you think something terribly wrong is going on with your tank.
 
I never knew these corals had filaments. What does rtn mean?
 
I never knew these corals had filaments. What does rtn mean?
Most Stony corals have filaments and sweeper tentacles.

RTN means Rapid Tissue Necrosis :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 51 34.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 21 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new