Sometimes...it's the simple things. Regal Angel.

UncleSalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few know me personally on here, but the Regal Angel is my grail fish. I've owned several, most perish quickly, but a couple have lasted a year + and then died to strange reasons. I currently have another one in the QT tank that I acquired from NY Aquatics. Their Angels typically do very well...

This guy, upon acclimation and waiting 24 hours to even try to feed was the typical shy Regal. He wanted nothing to do with anyone, and now - he wanted nothing to do with food. No big deal, I have encountered this before and am usually quite successful with the eating part. This guy though - didn't want mysis or brine. So - I did the next steps for me which is the fabled Collared Greens that I have spoke about on here. He took to them quite quickly - but wouldn't eat a lot of it - and wouldn't eat any meaty foods. He literally had one piece float into his mouth - and then spit it out.

So I started down the path to meaty success with clams on a half shell, hard pass. Tried live black worms - pass. Tried live baby brine shrimp - no idea those were so small so maybe he ate one (even on accident). I got LRS, nope.....nothing seemed to work. I spent over $60 on foods this weekend and nothing.

Yesterday though, I figured I might as well go back and try mysis - this time though - for some reason, I opted to turn off the pumps in QT other than the bubbler - I placed the mysis in and backed up.....he came out, looked at it - and immediately ate it. Are you kidding me?! It was the pumps he didn't like it blowing around. So I gave him 20 minutes to eat a bunch, and then I turned the pumps back on and the previous shrimps he didn't eat, started blowing around - and very quickly he started chasing them and eating them. It was almost as if that him realizing they were food sparked it in him to even chase them. Yesterday afternoon and all day today he's been tearing up the food in the tank. I never thought to turn off the pumps with him - but it worked. Him having the opportunity to 'see' the food before it whisked away really helped.

In short - he's obviously not out of the woods, although he's done with his API FC treatments - but at least he's eating well again. So all I was posting, is that sometimes its the little things like turning off a pump that can make a difference. Hopefully this Regal will live a long happy life.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often times it is the little things we overlook, congrats on getting it to pig out I hope you have success and it that lives a long life, I'll be looking forward to updates :)

Back