YCW - shipping stress damage to beak

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so he isn’t swimming the greatest. This is on top of what looks like damage to his beak. One fin seems to not move as much. And he seems to tire out quickly. He lays in the sand when his tired. On his belly.

I fed mysis and an LFS made mixed food that also contains small pieces but he didn’t eat.
I was thinking tomorrow I’ll see if the LFS has enriched brine.

I did turn the flow way down during feeding to give him time…I’m wondering if I should turn it off.
The video is three videos I put together. And I have attached a few photos.

Thoughts opinions advice?
@Jay Hemdal

123_1.jpeg IMG_0669.jpeg IMG_0668.jpeg IMG_0667.jpeg IMG_0603.jpeg IMG_0616.jpeg IMG_0615.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys aren’t great shippers, it’s possible it injured itself during shipping (trying to dive into the sand and hitting a wall).
That wouldn’t really explain the behavior though (unless it hit its head really hard) - UNWD is always a possibility.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys aren’t great shippers, it’s possible it injured itself during shipping (trying to dive into the sand and hitting a wall).
That wouldn’t really explain the behavior though (unless it hit its head really hard) - UNWD is always a possibility.
I wonder why they don’t ship them in black out bags…. Seems that would reduce stress.

He was out this morning but laying on the sand (on his belly) as soon as I walked up to the tank he swam up to greet me (sooo not shy!)

LFS doesn’t open till 12. But I’ll be there as soon as they don’t see if I can get some different smaller foods. I’m hoping I can get him to eat. That’s my currently priority.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why they don’t ship them in black out bags…. Seems that would reduce stress.

He was out this morning but laying on the sand (on his belly) as soon as I walked up to the tank he swam up to greet me (sooo not shy!)

LFS doesn’t open till 12. But I’ll be there as soon as they don’t see if I can get some different smaller foods. I’m hoping I can get him to eat. That’s my currently priority.

One thing I saw was the purple tang giving it some "near misses". It could very well be that when you are not in the room, that this behavior turns more serious. However, then the issue becomes a "chicken and the egg" sort of thing - is the tang harassing it, causing the issue, or is there some other issue, weakening the wrasse and making it more of a target for the tang - no way to really tell that though. My guess is that the wrasse got startled and ran into something, damaging its mouth, and then things just went downhill from there. Do you have another tank you can move the wrasse into? I don't like holding wrasse in hanging acclimation tanks (too small).

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I saw was the purple tang giving it some "near misses". It could very well be that when you are not in the room, that this behavior turns more serious. However, then the issue becomes a "chicken and the egg" sort of thing - is the tang harassing it, causing the issue, or is there some other issue, weakening the wrasse and making it more of a target for the tang - no way to really tell that though. My guess is that the wrasse got startled and ran into something, damaging its mouth, and then things just went downhill from there. Do you have another tank you can move the wrasse into? I don't like holding wrasse in hanging acclimation tanks (too small).
So he was added to the tank on Thursday.

Stress from shipping had him breathing hard
And immediately after placing him in the tank I noticed his beak.

I’m concerned about spinal injury.

I don’t have a separate tank . I could remove all the rocks from part of my sump.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So he was added to the tank on Thursday.

Stress from shipping had him breathing hard
And immediately after placing him in the tank I noticed his beak.

I’m concerned about spinal injury.

I don’t have a separate tank . I could remove all the rocks from part of my sump.

Putting a fish in the sump is an option, but the logistics of doing that may cause issues - do you need that rock for biofiltration? Is the sump large enough for the fish to navigate easily? Does the sump have lateral viewing, or can you only see the fish from the top? (that makes future observations an issue).

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting a fish in the sump is an option, but the logistics of doing that may cause issues - do you need that rock for biofiltration? Is the sump large enough for the fish to navigate easily? Does the sump have lateral viewing, or can you only see the fish from the top? (that makes future observations an issue).
The refugium section is the larger of the two sections. Although the glass at the front is currently dirty it is possible to see in from the front or top down.

Do I need all those rocks. No I added some because I’ll be getting a new tank in a month or two and was just getting some rocks ready…..usually I don’t have both sections full.

This morning he was laying on his belly in the sand and the jerk face I mean purple clown was ignoring him.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 83 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.4%
Back