Sometimes life just surprises you!

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Saturday, April 2nd, my girlfriend and I went to check out the Max Aquarium Expo at the Orange County Fair Grounds. We had a relatively new relationship, and I saw this as an opportunity to introduce her to one of my passions, as well as a chance to score some cool zoanthids for my 12 gallon reef tank.

We walked up and down the aisles and browsed the numerous booths. I took every opportunity to teach her about different corals, fish, and equipment, always dropping the hint that I would love to upgrade tanks in the future. We were having a great time!

We came across the raffle booth and decided to buy $10 worth of tickets. After dropping our 12 tickets in a couple buckets, we decided to hang around and people watch as we waited for the drawings. We saw people buying what had to be $100s of dollars worth of tickets, and quickly lowered all expectations.

Raffle time. As the first number was being drawn, we looked at each other and laughed at the thought...we won! We were shocked as we went to claim our 29 gallon, Aqueon Delux Aquarium Kit. After a quick picture we carried our prize back to our spot we had claimed on the floor. We didn't even get a chance to sit down before, you've got to be kidding, we won again. This time we had won a supplement/test package. Everyone laughed as we once again went up to claim our prize. Another picture and our luck was over for the day.

After the show we carried our winnings across the parking lot and drove home. The tank sat at my girlfriend's apartment for a few days, before she got anxious and asked if we could set it up. Of course I jumped at the opportunity, and saw this a chance for her to really learn what goes into a successful tank, as well as for myself to take the next step in the hobby. We prepared a list of everything we would need, along with a budget. Wasting no time we went to our LFS and purchased sand, rock, and some cheap powerheads to get the cycle going as we slowly ordered more equipment.
IMG_0001.JPG
Here is our tank on April 14th, Day 1.
IMG_0003.JPG
While we waited for our new toys to come in the mail we decided to get crafty and build a custom shelf which would serve as our light support.
IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0007.JPG
Over the next two months the tank slowly grew. We added:
- CPR Bak Pak 2R+ protein skimmer
- CPR HOB Refugium
- AI Hydra 26 HD light
- 3 Scarlet Hermit Crabs
- Snails (Margarita & Turbo)
- 2 Clownfish (DaVinci & Black Ice)
I don't have any pictures from this time saved on my phone...

A month later we had a small earthquake, and decided the stand from Petco has to go! A few trips to Home Depot and Lowes and we had all the materials we needed for yet another exciting weekend. Here is the finished product. Not bad for limited tools and no garage.
IMG_0017.JPG IMG_0020.JPG IMG_0021.JPG IMG_0028.JPG IMG_0030.JPG
Throughout the months of June, July, and August we slowly added the following corals and a few more fish:
- Neon Green Octospawn
- Bubble Coral (previously kept in my 12 gallon)
- Duncan coral (3 heads)
- Orange Bam Bam Zoanthids
- Unknown Pink Zoathids
- Pink Acan
- Red Acan
- Torch Coral (lost do to EEFW...first time on R2R do to this)
- Warpaint Scoly
- Sun Coral (lost do to lack of feeding...this was my fault and I regret it)
- Purple Lobo Coral (fragged and sold half)
- Cauliflower Coral
- RBTA
- Yasha Goby/Pistol Shrimp
- Yellow Coris Wrasse
- Female Flasher Wrasse
- Blood Shrimp
IMG_0143.JPG IMG_0112.JPG IMG_0142.JPG IMG_0122.JPG IMG_0125.JPG IMG_0140.JPG IMG_0113.JPG IMG_0126.JPG
We decided to let our tank sit for a few months and let everything settle in. Over this time we both joined the Southern California Marine Aquarium Society, and took every opportunity we could to learn more about the hobby. We also circled the date of Reef-a-palooza to further stock our tank with the corals we wanted. We were very satisfied with what RAP had to offer and it was after this that our tank finally started to look as we had imagined.

RAP scores:
- Pink/Blue Basto
- Jawbreaker mushroom
- Unknown Rhodactis Mushroom
- Superman zoanthids
- Hyperspace Zoanthids
- Rasta Zoanthids
- Utter Chaos Zoanthids
- Gold Torch
- Rainbow Acan
- Two Gorgonians

A few weeks later I couldn't control myself...I followed Kush Corals for a long time and always wanted to take my chances at their online auctions. Well I scored myself a few amazing pieces.
- Unicorn Milk Acan
- Ketchup and Mustard Acan
- Black Cherry Acan
- Blue Autumn Rhodactis
- Blue Ricordia
- Green Man Rhodactis
- Purple Tip Acro (first attempt at these)
IMG_0225.JPG IMG_0224.JPG IMG_0232.JPG IMG_0214.JPG IMG_0235.JPG IMG_0234.JPG IMG_0248.JPG
So that brings us to today. Our crazy and wild ride has lead us to a very satisfying point. We now sit and wait for our tank to fill in. Throughout this process my girlfriend and I (now living together!) have learned so much about the hobby and each other. This reef has truly served us well, and we hope we can return the favor.
IMG_0327.PNG
Current Fish:
- Two Clowns (DaVinci and Black Ice)
- Two Banggai Cardinals
- Purple Firefish

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Saturday, April 2nd, my girlfriend and I went to check out the Max Aquarium Expo at the Orange County Fair Grounds. We had a relatively new relationship, and I saw this as an opportunity to introduce her to one of my passions, as well as a chance to score some cool zoanthids for my 12 gallon reef tank.

We walked up and down the aisles and browsed the numerous booths. I took every opportunity to teach her about different corals, fish, and equipment, always dropping the hint that I would love to upgrade tanks in the future. We were having a great time!

We came across the raffle booth and decided to buy $10 worth of tickets. After dropping our 12 tickets in a couple buckets, we decided to hang around and people watch as we waited for the drawings. We saw people buying what had to be $100s of dollars worth of tickets, and quickly lowered all expectations.

Raffle time. As the first number was being drawn, we looked at each other and laughed at the thought...we won! We were shocked as we went to claim our 29 gallon, Aqueon Delux Aquarium Kit. After a quick picture we carried our prize back to our spot we had claimed on the floor. We didn't even get a chance to sit down before, you've got to be kidding, we won again. This time we had won a supplement/test package. Everyone laughed as we once again went up to claim our prize. Another picture and our luck was over for the day.

After the show we carried our winnings across the parking lot and drove home. The tank sat at my girlfriend's apartment for a few days, before she got anxious and asked if we could set it up. Of course I jumped at the opportunity, and saw this a chance for her to really learn what goes into a successful tank, as well as for myself to take the next step in the hobby. We prepared a list of everything we would need, along with a budget. Wasting no time we went to our LFS and purchased sand, rock, and some cheap powerheads to get the cycle going as we slowly ordered more equipment.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
While we waited for our new toys to come in the mail we decided to get crafty and build a custom shelf which would serve as our light support.
- CPR HOB Refugium
- AI Hydra 26 HD light
- 3 Scarlet Hermit Crabs

A month later we had a small earthquake, and decided the stand from Petco has to go! A few trips to Home Depot and Lowes and we had all the materials we needed for yet another exciting weekend. Here is the finished product. Not bad for limited tools and no garage.
Throughout the months of June, July, and August we slowly added the following corals and a few more fish:
- Neon Green Octospawn
- Duncan coral (3 heads)
- Unknown Pink Zoathids
- Pink Acan
- Red Acan
- Warpaint Scoly
- Cauliflower Coral
- RBTA
- Yellow Coris Wrasse
- Female Flasher Wrasse
- Blood Shrimp
IMG_0143.JPG IMG_0112.JPG IMG_0142.JPG IMG_0122.JPG IMG_0125.JPG IMG_0140.JPG IMG_0113.JPG IMG_0126.JPG
We decided to let our tank sit for a few months and let everything settle in. Over this time we both joined the Southern California Marine Aquarium Society, and took every opportunity we could to learn more about the hobby. We also circled the date of Reef-a-palooza to further stock our tank with the corals we wanted. We were very satisfied with what RAP had to offer and it was after this that our tank finally started to look as we had imagined.

RAP scores:
- Pink/Blue Basto
- Jawbreaker mushroom
- Superman zoanthids
- Hyperspace Zoanthids
- Rasta Zoanthids
- Utter Chaos Zoanthids
- Gold Torch
- Rainbow Acan
- Two Gorgonians

A few weeks later I couldn't control myself...I followed Kush Corals for a long time and always wanted to take my chances at their online auctions. Well I scored myself a few amazing pieces.
- Unicorn Milk Acan
- Black Cherry Acan
- Blue Autumn Rhodactis
- Blue Ricordia
- Green Man Rhodactis
IMG_0225.JPG IMG_0224.JPG IMG_0232.JPG IMG_0214.JPG IMG_0235.JPG IMG_0234.JPG IMG_0248.JPG
So that brings us to today. Our crazy and wild ride has lead us to a very satisfying point. We now sit and wait for our tank to fill in. Throughout this process my girlfriend and I (now living together!) have learned so much about the hobby and each other. This reef has truly served us well, and we hope we can return the favor.
IMG_0327.PNG
Current Fish:
- Two Banggai Cardinals
- Purple Firefish

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

It's contagious! [emoji12][emoji1611][emoji106]

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
- CPR HOB Refugium
- AI Hydra 26 HD light
- 3 Scarlet Hermit Crabs

- Neon Green Octospawn
- Duncan coral (3 heads)
- Unknown Pink Zoathids
- Pink Acan
- Red Acan
- Warpaint Scoly
- Cauliflower Coral
- RBTA
- Yellow Coris Wrasse
- Female Flasher Wrasse
- Blood Shrimp

RAP scores:
- Pink/Blue Basto
- Jawbreaker mushroom
- Superman zoanthids
- Hyperspace Zoanthids
- Rasta Zoanthids
- Utter Chaos Zoanthids
- Gold Torch
- Rainbow Acan
- Two Gorgonians

- Unicorn Milk Acan
- Black Cherry Acan
- Blue Autumn Rhodactis
- Blue Ricordia
- Green Man Rhodactis
IMG_0327.PNG
Current Fish:
- Two Banggai Cardinals
- Purple Firefish

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

Grats on the double win or triple win for gf approving of the build :)

I like the corals too.

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#goals haha love the tank and your write-up to go with it!!:)

Thank you! I've been meaning to post sooner, but couldn't find the time. Now that I have it started I will continue to update!

Also, #goals, just creates more goals. We are both already talking about a larger tank in the future (few years out)! It's so hard to stop the addiction!

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I've been meaning to post sooner, but couldn't find the time. Now that I have it started I will continue to update!

Also, #goals, just creates more goals. We are both already talking about a larger tank in the future (few years out)! It's so hard to stop the addiction!

I'm excited to see your progress, whether you two decide to expand or not! With the way your tank looks now, I think you could really make an impressive large display as well! It really is an addicting hobby! I'm actually in the process of downsizing my 180g to a tank under 30g though. Now that I'm in college, I can't expect to move the big boy around everywhere I go. Haha

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread made me smile! Congrats on the beautiful tank and being able to share a wonderful hobby to your gf. It makes it truly enjoyable when both parties can enjoy it.

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Christmas I decided to get my tank a Smart ATO Micro. For the RO/DI reservoir I purchased a 3.3 gallon container from The Container Store. Side Bar...The Container Store is awesome! Never been in one before last night, but now I think every Reefer should at least take a look. It made me think of how I can improve my organization for my next build.
IMG_0410.JPG IMG_0413.JPG
First impressions:
- I cannot believe how small it actually is! Perfect for nano tanks.
- Easy to hide around the display tank/stand
- Easy directions for set up

I decided to incorporate the reservoir in the tank stand, by hiding it in one of the bins we use for storage of tank supplies. This location kept it easily accessible and hidden.
IMG_0411.JPG IMG_0412.JPG

Drilled two holes in the back of the stand for the water line and power line. The water line runs up the back of the aquarium and into the HOB Refugium.
IMG_0416.JPG IMG_0414.JPG
This leads to my first complaint about the Smart ATO Micro. I do not have a rimless tank, and it seems as though they manufactured the water line bracket to accommodate only rimless tanks. The bracket would not fit over my tanks rim. The refugium seemed to be the only logical spot for my water line to run.

Once the reservoir, waterline, and pump were set up, all that was left was the Water Level Sensor. This again seems to be designed for rimless aquariums. The power line is place so that the rim of my aquarium prevented the sensor from mounting flat on my glass. I had to use my Dremel to cut a small slit in the rim to fit the sensor (poor picture).
IMG_0419.JPG

All around it took me about 50 minutes to set this system up, would've been even quicker if it were just going into a sump and didn't worry about hiding all the lines. Now I sit and wait to see if it works as well as I hope!

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tank is almost one year old! It has been doing great. Corals are really starting to grow and I've noticed it's getting harder to keep my parameters in check with only water changes. Magnesium seems to be used at the highest rate.

I have decided to start dosing using Red Sea products.

3d53b4741b57fb467a00218c92ce3f37.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back