Sore on redline wrasse gils.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this guy for about a year and a half. He's been doing well. He's been a bit more shy as of late and today I noticed something coming out of his gils.

not much has changed in the tank. I did add a smaller ornate leopard wrasse after it was qt'ed.

It looks like there is a sore within his gil structure. He's always breathed a bit on the fast side. Also his colors have been fading a bit in the past few months.

I'm not sure what is going on, but it does NOT look good. I'm hesitant to take him out of the tank because wrasses love the sand so much.

Advice on how to treat.

wrasse-close.jpg

wrasse-standard.jpg

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this guy for about a year and a half. He's been doing well. He's been a bit more shy as of late and today I noticed something coming out of his gils.

not much has changed in the tank. I did add a smaller ornate leopard wrasse after it was qt'ed.

It looks like there is a sore within his gil structure. He's always breathed a bit on the fast side. Also his colors have been fading a bit in the past few months.

I'm not sure what is going on, but it does NOT look good. I'm hesitant to take him out of the tank because wrasses love the sand so much.

Advice on how to treat.

wrasse-close.jpg

wrasse-standard.jpg
Actually it looks like a type of pod coming out of his gills that had been stuck in there. Are you able to catch him and remove it? Is it imbedded in the skin like a cut?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture is a bit fuzzy but it looks like some sort of small parasitic creature latched on to the area by the gill plate. Are you able to trap out the fish? Could also try getting a video and stepping or screenshotting clearer spots for a better ID.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is unclear to me - agree with others - video or more close up of a picture. Seems like it could be anything from injury to a parasite, to a tumor.
How old is the fish?
Any other sick fish or recent additions?

OP
OP
littlebeard

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having hard time getting video. He's also hiding quite a bit.

It appears both sides his gils are inflamed.

I have my qt tank up and ready. Just not sure how to treat him and if pulling him out is the best approach.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I have my qt tank up and ready. Just not sure how to treat him and if pulling him out is the best approach.

all good unfortunately - cant see the video with my browser - if the changes are symmetric - I guess that makes a tumor very unlikely, additionally makes an injury less like (by the way - very much less likely for both). I suppose a larger parasite could have infected both gills - but - either way - it looks like something that needs treatment.

Without a picture - its unclear whether its the gill itself protruding - or a separate 'thing'. @Jay Hemdal @nereefpat @vetteguy53081

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

PS - I personally would not worry about the fish being in a tank without sand - and I would tend to pull him out sooner than later - 1 - for observation 2 - for easier treatment if required. 3- for better pictures etc

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would use some herbatana/artimis medication on him that way if it’s a bacterial issue it will cure it and if it’s a parasitic it will kill it. Yes it’s a herb natural base but I personally prefer this to hard medication!!!

OP
OP
littlebeard

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got him in the hospital. Was a bit of work... in the process of him swimming around like a madman I think I also saw 2 - ~1/4" ~6mm long worms come from him. (it may have been from the sandbed as he was really swimming around.) Trying to get a decent video right now. Will update in a bit.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would use some herbatana/artimis medication on him that way if it’s a bacterial issue it will cure it and if it’s a parasitic it will kill it. Yes it’s a herb natural base but I personally prefer this to hard medication!!!
how?

OP
OP
littlebeard

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the medicines I have on hand.
  • Melafix
  • Formalin MS
  • methylene blue
  • Copper power
  • Metroplex/Focus

Will any of these work?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My apology for delay- Been chasing down our jet as I left Ipad on it and I need it Monday morning. Finally have it back

On the fish: I believe its a parasitic isopod - one that attaches itself to the base of the tongue, and then sucks blood from the tongue causing it to shrivel and will try to exit out of the gills when food is taken in.
I can imagine fish is having trouble eating or not eating at all ?
Removal will require manual removal with tweezers . A formalin dip (quick cure ) may drive this bugger off the fish). A freshwater dip may do the same.
Thereafter, treat with either 45min formalin bath or Seachem metroplex to afford healing for this guy

Attachments

• 1644701180926.png
    1644701180926.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 18

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here are the medicines I have on hand.
  • Melafix
  • Formalin MS
  • methylene blue
  • Copper power
  • Metroplex/Focus

Will any of these work?
VERY GOOD !!! In order of best:

• Melafix - 4 ( this is a Teak tree tonic)
  • Formalin MS - 1
  • methylene blue - not really
  • Copper power 2 - I dont think this thing will withstand copper ( do this in a bucket if you are and see if it hops off)
  • Metroplex/Focus - 3

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
VERY GOOD !!! In order of best:

• Melafix - 4 ( this is a Teak tree tonic)
  • Formalin MS - 1
  • methylene blue - not really
  • Copper power 2 - I dont think this thing will withstand copper ( do this in a bucket if you are and see if it hops off)
  • Metroplex/Focus - 3
Thanks - I could not think of the name of the parasite!!!!!

OP
OP
littlebeard

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever that white thing was in the first video is gone. I think it dislodged while I was chasing him around the tank to put him in the hospital tank. It looks blood red and like a hole.... I really don't want to be playing around with the fishes gills since I don't know what I'm doing.

I gave him a formalin bath, hopefully that helps.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever that white thing was in the first video is gone. I think it dislodged while I was chasing him around the tank to put him in the hospital tank. It looks blood red and like a hole.... I really don't want to be playing around with the fishes gills since I don't know what I'm doing.

I gave him a formalin bath, hopefully that helps.
Formalin will help if it is the correct dose - 100 ppm for 30 minutes for example (with good aeration). A FW dip for 5 minutes will dislodge most parasites.

What I'm worried about here is the fast, open mouthed breathing - that can indicate gill damage.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%

Back