Sorta freaking out now

ZeroShadez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i was doing some research on this coraline thats been growing and now im not wondering if its not red turf algae its hard like coraline and scrapes off just as hard as the coraline only difference i can tell is the color. And it looks super dark purple under the blue lights where the other coraline is hard to see under the blues. What should i do?? The second photo im sure is coraline

20191119_210327.jpg 20191119_210342.jpg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's all in your tank?

How big is your tank?

My tang eats some of my red turf algae but not sure if your ta k could fit one...or if it would even eat it. Some tangs are picky lol

People have used vibrant I believe to help with turf algae. But I have never used it.

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coraline comes in different shades or red, purple and green. The first pic looks a little darker and almost fuzzy. Hard to see clearly in pics, sodobt want yo say if it is ir is not coraline.

OP
OP
ZeroShadez

ZeroShadez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coraline comes in different shades or red, purple and green. The first pic looks a little darker and almost fuzzy. Hard to see clearly in pics, sodobt want yo say if it is ir is not coraline.
It doesnt feel fuzzy but its hard to tell what do you think?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a little weird and like the look of it lol I understand it takes over if not controlled and not wanted in a tank long term but it does happen. My tang does a pretty good job keeping it under control.

Here is a pic of what I believe is turf algea in my tank. I could be wrong but it looks fuzzy but is hard and on the rock. I have asked here before about this specific algea and the cool orange/red sponge in the pic. No one really knew about the algea so I googled and went with red turf.

20191119_192259.jpg

OP
OP
ZeroShadez

ZeroShadez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little weird and like the look of it lol I understand it takes over if not controlled and not wanted in a tank long term but it does happen. My tang does a pretty good job keeping it under control.

Here is a pic of what I believe is turf algea in my tank. I could be wrong but it looks fuzzy but is hard and on the rock. I have asked here before about this specific algea and the cool orange/red sponge in the pic. No one really knew about the algea so I googled and went with red turf.

20191119_192259.jpg
Yeah i love the look of it i just don't want it taking over coral eventually my tank is new and going through different blooms could it just go away eventually?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes it could go away just as any algea. Can you get a toothbrush and try to scrub it off? Turbo snails are big and have eaten any algea I have gotten.

How old is your tank?

OP
OP
ZeroShadez

ZeroShadez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters?
Tank is about 2 and a half months old lol alk mag and cal are a wee bit high cause i accidentally overdosed those when i misread the test kit... My nitrates are at 1.5 ppm phosphates at .06 ph 8.4 salinity is at 1.025 temp at 80F

OP
OP
ZeroShadez

ZeroShadez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it could go away just as any algea. Can you get a toothbrush and try to scrub it off? Turbo snails are big and have eaten any algea I have gotten.

How old is your tank?
I tried vigorously to scrub it with a tooth brush just like the coraline it doesn't budge lol i really hope its just dark red coraline.

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How old is your tank?
Agree get snails, worse case you can pull rock and spray with hydrogen peroxide. Make sure to stir sand keep system cleanly don’t overfeed can also lower whites if your using a led or an 8 hour light cycle can slow it down if your doing 13 hours currently.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank is about 2 and a half months old lol alk mag and cal are a wee bit high cause i accidentally overdosed those when i misread the test kit... My nitrates are at 1.5 ppm phosphates at .06 ph 8.4 salinity is at 1.025 temp at 80F
Ya high nutrients will feed it.

Being a newer tank and having coraline like that is a good sign. So you are doing a good job getting your tank going.

Now just need to dial the nutrients in so the tank can process.

Really high ALK could be bad so when you say high...how high are we talking?

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's most likely just coraline. It comes in all kinds of colors: pink, purple, red, maroon, teal. I even had some that was such a dark burgundy that it almost looked black.

If it's hard, not fuzzy, and scraps off just like the light purple coraline in right-hand pic, I wouldn't worry about.

OP
OP
ZeroShadez

ZeroShadez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya high nutrients will feed it.

Being a newer tank and having coraline like that is a good sign. So you are doing a good job getting your tank going.

Now just need to dial the nutrients in so the tank can process.

Really high ALK could be bad so when you say high...how high are we talking?
About 14 dkh

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back