Sound Off: How many of you get frustrated with snails?

Do you have problems keeping snails in your tank for long periods of time for one reason or another?

• Yes

Votes: 149 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 229 60.6%

• Total voters

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have 3 Hermits and 2 Nassarius snails that have survived the the tank cycling process excetera and have been in my tank for a year now. My trochus snails didn't make it because I honestly got too many and they starved. Someone said did not starve probably got ate by my emerald crab that I had at the time..

Two months ago I decided to buy 10 trochus snails for my 125 gallon.

I took two pieces of live rock out of my DT to put in quarantine however all 10 trochus snails were dead within 48 hours.

Last month I went to the same place and got 10 more this time I watched the sales kid more closely and he was literally just pulling them off of the glass same scenario within 48 hours they were all dead I guess I just need to go to a different supplier maybe I will have better luck.

When I got my very first batch while my tank was cycling last year the sales associate took at least 5 minutes just getting my 10 trochus snails. He would gently wiggle them until they released.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big snails I'm able to keep no problem. But I notice that smaller snails get jumped by my hermit crabs. So I try to buy big.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't keep any snails except to "steal" their shells for hermits or to feed my puffer (At any given time zero living snails are in my tank)

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't keep any snails except to "steal" their shells for hermits or to feed my puffer (At any given time zero living snails are in my tank)
I've never been able to keep Turbos alive. They have plenty of hair algae to eat, so they didn't starve. I acclimated them for a couple of hours, but next time it sounds like I should try 6-8 hours?

Also, where would you recommend purchasing the snails from? Since it sounds like Live Aquaria and Reef Cleaners are a no-go. I've also had bad luck with my LFS, I think mainly since they keep their salinity at 1.021 and my tank is 1.024-5.

BTW, my tank is just over 2 years old and everything else is doing well.

Mayerlyn A

Entre_Jardines
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermits kill their fair share, but my trochus breed constantly so they replenish themselves. I have 3 giant turbos that the hermits can't get to. Once the hermits kill each other off , I won't be buying anymore.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been able to keep Turbos alive. They have plenty of hair algae to eat, so they didn't starve. I acclimated them for a couple of hours, but next time it sounds like I should try 6-8 hours?

Also, where would you recommend purchasing the snails from? Since it sounds like Live Aquaria and Reef Cleaners are a no-go. I've also had bad luck with my LFS, I think mainly since they keep their salinity at 1.021 and my tank is 1.024-5.

BTW, my tank is just over 2 years old and everything else is doing well.

if you have the dough I would try ipsf

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add snails two to three times a year. Most of mine (nerites) die from falling upside down for one reason or another. I havent noticed the hermits going HAM on them but certainly possible. I dig the activity of the hermits so they remain in the tank. The back corner of the tank has become a boneyard for the fallen...

32831090597_f64690f571_b.jpg

Jon M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have trouble in this tank for some reason. I just quit buying them

markfmvl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually lose about half in quarantine. once in the tanks they seem to do fairly well.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy a ton of snails about once a year. They come from reefcleaners.org. The quality is great and I have few losses from shipping. My losses are due to my friendly pistol shrimp, Shooter. I also have a few scarlet hermits that I think are munching on them as well.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a variety of snails. I only stock a few at a time. I watch for their shell growth and condition of the tank to judge if I need to add any more.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back