!!!SOUR APPLE CAROLINIANA!!! I think...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, chugging is a little is more like it. lol I decided to use all my old rock for the backup system, opting for new dry rock in the main, and I'll admit even a good sized system is not immune to the "new tank uglies". Definitely seeing all the cycles come and go in there lol. Corals doing well fortunately. The back up however looks truly amazing. The main just needs to stabilize more as I'm sure it will love the next year. In hindsight, I should have seeded it much better with my old rock but its coming along for sure.

If I were you I would exchange 25% of the rock in the main tank for the same amount in the back up with the mature rock. This will accelerate the maturing of the main system and its bio diversity. I am big on swapping mature rock in for new rocks in a new system. I think we really under estimate the power of live rock and the life it holds. The pods and all other "bugs" in that mature rock will go a long way to deal with new system uglies. They will graze on it and grow.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If I were you I would exchange 25% of the rock in the main tank for the same amount in the back up with the mature rock. This will accelerate the maturing of the main system and its bio diversity. I am big on swapping mature rock in for new rocks in a new system. I think we really under estimate the power of live rock and the life it holds. The pods and all other "bugs" in that mature rock will go a long way to deal with new system uglies. They will graze on it and grow.

Good call man, and thanks a lot for the input. I have been doing this on a small scale actually the last few weeks. The dry rock itself had been wet for about 6 months prior to setting up the main, in tanks and crevaces all over the place, and I had seeded those tanks with mature rock, but there wasn't much life in there during that six month period so the benefits were minimal. Better than 100% dry at start up but not mature in any way. I did add a few big bags of pod from Algae Barn as well initially. The good news is the system is teeming with pods.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call man, and thanks a lot for the input. I have been doing this on a small scale actually the last few weeks. The dry rock itself had been wet for about 6 months prior to setting up the main, in tanks and crevaces all over the place, and I had seeded those tanks with mature rock, but there wasn't much life in there during that six month period so the benefits were minimal. Better than 100% dry at start up but not mature in any way. I did add a few big bags of pod from Algae Barn as well initially. The good news is the system is teeming with pods.

I think when starting with dry rock it just takes longer to mature.

I also added Algae Barn pods. I think they have the best products when it comes to pods. Pods go a long way to your CUC.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m in the same boat. I used FritzZyme to help the cycle, which it done a great job. But everything has that new tank appearance with colors floating in and out.

Ha! yeah I was almost afraid to ask. Its easy to underestimate how important all those early on process are. The old system had been running over 10 years and i really took it for granted. lol glad to hear things are doing well in the new shop. I am really interested in this lights of yours as well. You feel the coverage is pretty good on 4" wide then?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think when starting with dry rock it just takes longer to mature.

I also added Algae Barn pods. I think they have the best products when it comes to pods. Pods go a long way to your CUC.

totally with you on that. I love those guys!

Yellowsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coloration on this is tremendous. You know, if this was any number of other vendors, I would think the photo was taken under heavy blues or just actinics. If you look at the edge of the photos where you can see LR, though, you can tell that the lighting is actually quite natural... close to daylight, even.

Nice one, Adam. Definitely adding this to my wishlist...

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The coloration on this is tremendous. You know, if this was any number of other vendors, I would think the photo was taken under heavy blues or just actinics. If you look at the edge of the photos where you can see LR, though, you can tell that the lighting is actually quite natural... close to daylight, even.

Nice one, Adam. Definitely adding this to my wishlist...

Hey thanks a lot for the post man really appreciate it., yeah this was shot in my pic tank same as all my packs and colonies:) One 20k radium on an m-80 ballast. A very crisp white as opposed to blue for sure.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back