!!!SOUR APPLE CAROLINIANA!!! I think...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I mean, I'll be the first to admit I have never been so great at positive coral ID's. I try my best when I can believe me but more than often I tend to avoid the embarrassment of an inaccurate label, opting for the "silly" name over the actual unfortunately. I'd honestly really like to see more species names attached to the stuff we sell in some way or another. And don't get me wrong, I know we all have to play the "name game" when it comes to marketing these things, and I've ridden that boat to the farthest points of absurdity, but some semblance of an attempt to ID at least the acros, where there are so many different species, many of them very similar looking, would certainly help educate the hobby as a whole. At the very least, I think we can all agree it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Ultimately It's tricky to match up the corals we have in our tanks to the pics in books or online, but I do think we can get awfully close sometimes, especially when it comes to some of these thicker branching smoothies, and a lot of the more common stuff we see often. Tenuis and Millipora for example are pretty easy ones.

With that sentiment in mind, I want to say Caraliniana for this gem maybe Lokani, but I'd very much appreciate any input from those of you much more keen than I am. As well, I am working on getting positive ID's on everything I have in my collection, in an effort to hopefully detach a little from the "fun names". I welcome any input from anybody willing to help me with that task. In fact, maybe we can turn it into a game or some form of a contest. Open to input on that as well.

So anyway, "hobby name" and my best guess to species name, riding side by side, here's a really cool new member of the collection I am absolutely loving right now.

Simply, the Sour Apple Caroliniana I think...

Last edited:

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Caroliniana is a good guess or maybe A. Turaki. A. Lokani seems to grow a little differently in my opinion but with different flow patterns I guess anything is possible.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's gorgeous! I think lokani's have a "blunter" tip structure maybe. I would guess same as you or possibly a turaki? Although they usually have a more open branching habit I think. Either way congrats on the find! Oops! I see Rik suggested Turaki above.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think Caroliniana is a good guess or maybe A. Turaki. A. Lokani seems to grow a little differently in my opinion but with different flow patterns I guess anything is possible.

I'm with you, between the few blunter smooth skins its kind of a toss up sometimes I'd say. Turaki's have always been tricky for me. I had a few old ones long ago I always though were Turokis but never sure, and probably weren't lol The "Hawkins Echinatta" for example. Always pegged it as a turoki, but that was only because it so closely resembled in structure a purple"Turoki" I got from Rod B down in Dekalb Ill years ago. LOL

Thanks for the post Rik!

Petr_Patter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking coral. I love the color combo and growth pattern. I totally agree with the acro naming. I have started to collect more and more acros but always find it hard to know what type of acro they are based on some funny name. It makes it difficult for placement within my tank because I am uncertain of the growth patterns and what it will look like a few years down the road.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As discussed with you Adam , please send me a 2 inch frag and I would confirm in a week .
Nonetheless , it's brilliant and amazing !!!
If it's a A.Carolinina , it's the first I have seen other than green or yellow .

Regards,
Abhidhek

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hilarious that you still have that in your signature. Awesome!! LOL

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I remember that thread like it was yesterday. Truly one of the greatest posts on this entire forum!

Screenshot 2017-10-09 16.14.40.png

Oh and Gary, some good coral news. I discovered a small back up frag of your original yellow slimer after the move! My original colony crashed a couple years back and I thought it was gone for good, but a small nub on a tile that finally started to grow has proven me wrong, and the Garys Yellow Slimer lives on!

At first I wasn't 100% sure but I am now, and pretty happy about it. Will set up a swap as soon as i can get a frag off it for you:)

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember that thread like it was yesterday. Truly one of the greatest posts on this entire forum!

Oh and Gary, some good coral news. I discovered a small back up frag of your original yellow slimer after the move! My original colony crashed a couple years back and i though it was gone for good, but a small nub on a tile that finally started to grow proved me wrong, and the Garys Yellow Slimer lives on!

At first I wasn't 100% sure but I am now, and pretty happy about it. Will set up a swap as soon as i can get a frag off it for you:)

Good stuff! That had to be 4 years or so ago!

That's awesome! You had that coral growing like a weed. I'm always up for a swap. Your new set up must be rockin by now?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

That's awesome! You had that coral growing like a weed. I'm always up for a swap. Your new set up must be rockin by now?

Welp, chugging is a little is more like it. lol I decided to use all my old rock for the backup system, opting for new dry rock in the main, and I'll admit even a good sized system is not immune to the "new tank uglies". Definitely seeing all the cycles come and go in there lol. Corals doing well fortunately. The back up however looks truly amazing. The main just needs to stabilize more as I'm sure it will love the next year. In hindsight, I should have seeded it much better with my old rock but its coming along for sure.

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any full colony shot?

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, chugging is a little is more like it. lol I decided to use all my old rock for the backup system, opting for new dry rock in the main, and I'll admit even a good sized system is not immune to the "new tank uglies". Definitely seeing all the cycles come and go in there lol. Corals doing well fortunately. The back up however looks truly amazing. The main just needs to stabilize more as I'm sure it will love the next year. In hindsight, I should have seeded it much better with my old rock but its coming along for sure.
I’m in the same boat. I used FritzZyme to help the cycle, which it done a great job. But everything has that new tank appearance with colors floating in and out.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh and Gary, some good coral news. I discovered a small back up frag of your original yellow slimer after the move! My original colony crashed a couple years back and I thought it was gone for good, but a small nub on a tile that finally started to grow has proven me wrong, and the Garys Yellow Slimer lives on!

Gary, that will still be in my signature four years from now. That's the classic of the classics! It still makes me laugh

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back