Spawning video sps disease concerns

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, so since my company was actually mentioned by name in the video in this thread regarding potential coral diseases, I felt It was pretty essential that I chime in here. The video was brought to my attention by @GlassMunky last week Friday while I was dealing with my infected arm and was a fair distraction from that stress lol. Very cool discussion by the way and thanks to @ReefRondo for having them.

If you made it all the way to the end of this video around the hour and 20 minute marker, Mike starts discussing certain coral diseases and his convictions on the fact that they came on corals from vendors that he purchased online. And during the course of the conversation, he did convincingly mention that he was certain that my corals were also diseased.

Of course, after hearing this, I went into my usual panic mode and started digging as quickly as deeply as I could. This is the kind of stuff I take extremely seriously believe me. I talked to a couple friends and eventually spoke with Mike early this week personally, who has been a customer of mine since 2020, all the way up to September of this year.

Anyway, I have had a coral on the site since I started my business called "Gary's yellow slimmer". It was bought from Gary (probably just a cut off a wild Fiji or Aussie piece) at Reef Pets back in 2011. And it was an extreme oddball coral, very unique growth pattern. I bet if we went back to the archive on this forum, we could find the actual thread that he originally posted it on that I bought it from him. Anyway, when it was fragged, it would form these tight clusters of new growth that eventually would expand into elongated branches. Still had very unusual structural growth, but nothing consistent with what Mike is experiencing in his own system. Mike had casually observed the picture on my site, and drew his conclusion from that alone.

Here is the pic for reference

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 3.48.24 PM.png

clusters in question would eventually grow out normally like the pic below. I'm sure this was more a result of fragging.
IMG_9602.jpg

I should mention there are no hard feelings here at all. I completely understand Mike's concerns, and how he could have came to that conclusion. And after speaking with him, he also understood my concerns as well. We are in no way at odds here, but I am absolutely certain that this particular coral was not affected with whatever potential disease he may be experiencing.

Furthermore, the Garys Yellow, has unfortunately been extinct from my system since about 2015-ish. Never made it into my main system after I moved in 2016.

Here is the email Mike sent me. Also he made the correction in the video comments. For what its worth.

just felt that as long as the vid was out there that this information should be as well

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 10.24.33 AM.png

Last edited:

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you both worked this out. It is good to see that you took the time to this and saw both sides. Hope to get some stock from Battlecorals in the future.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Adam! @Battlecorals So glad this has been sorted out and there are no hard feelings. I have zero interest in upsetting anybody or spreading misinformation. We are a bunch of friends that get together for lighthearted chats across the states and some from further afield. We are just recording conversations and having fun. Would be cool if you could join us sometime actually! Give me a shout if you’d be up for something like that or would even like a link to our discord! I am on your site often drilling over your corals btw but I doubt you ship to Scotland LOL.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey Adam! @Battlecorals So glad this has been sorted out and there are no hard feelings. I have zero interest in upsetting anybody or spreading misinformation. We are a bunch of friends that get together for lighthearted chats across the states and some from further afield. We are just recording conversations and having fun. Would be cool if you could join us sometime actually! Give me a shout if you’d be up for something like that or would even like a link to our discord! I am on your site often drilling over your corals btw but I doubt you ship to Scotland LOL.
dude! heck yeah! I would be honored! I have really enjoyed the vids. And thanks for the follow up. I mean it when I say I take this stuff super seriously, no way was I going to run and hide after I saw that. lol. lets definitely put something together!

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude! heck yeah! I would be honored! I have really enjoyed the vids. And thanks for the follow up. I mean it when I say I take this stuff super seriously, no way was I going to run and hide after I saw that. lol. lets definitely put something together!
Awesome! Let’s do that. How do I send you a DM on here? Don't think I’m allowed to post discord link publicly.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record, this is the disease I am dealing with on A. yongei and other species. In this pic of corals undergoing an attempt at treatment for this problem are two green slimers, two purple slimers, a Scripps green stag, and a wild A. hoeksemai. All corals demonstrate stunted branches with bizarre cauliflower-like growth patterns. This has not responded to any dips or antibiotic treatments to date.

1712008381745.jpeg

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record, this is the disease I am dealing with on A. yongei and other species. In this pic of corals undergoing an attempt at treatment for this problem are two green slimers, two purple slimers, a Scripps green stag, and a wild A. hoeksemai. All corals demonstrate stunted branches with bizarre cauliflower-like growth patterns. This has not responded to any dips or antibiotic treatments to date.

1712008381745.jpeg
This is very interesting.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back