Source for: Sparisoma viride (Stoplight Parrotfish) ?

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Saw many of these while snorkeling in the Caribbean. I literally need one.

Anyone know who carries these regularly?

1CA1134A-5829-41DB-ABFC-172BE532912F.jpeg

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey Nate. Not sure if they are spotlight but Elliot from MarineCollectors carries parrotfish as well as Reef Pro. Though as you probably saw while diving these things get huge. Not sure how long you’d be able to keep it in your tank, also remember its a risk with coral

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Nate. Not sure if they are spotlight but Elliot from MarineCollectors carries parrotfish as well as Reef Pro. Though as you probably saw while diving these things get huge. Not sure how long you’d be able to keep it in your tank, also remember its a risk with coral

Thanks for your input brother! Will continue to research, and take your advice into consideration. Will check the sites...

Cheers!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Assuming you want to put this into a 4/5’ tank I wouldn’t try one.
Also, considering the origin these guys have they’re a rare species to have in captivity if at all. This is one species of Parrot I don’t believe is available to the hobby and whilst they’re nice I personally think most Parrotfish should be kept outside the hobby as they are large fish that aren’t shy to get to the large sizes you see in the wild.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Assuming you want to put this into a 4/5’ tank I wouldn’t try one.
Also, considering the origin these guys have they’re a rare species to have in captivity if at all. This is one species of Parrot I don’t believe is available to the hobby and whilst they’re nice I personally think most Parrotfish should be kept outside the hobby as they are large fish that aren’t shy to get to the large sizes you see in the wild.

Thanks for your feedback here. Thinking back, the fish with the amazing colors were large (12-15"). I recall even the red/brown "juveniles" (i did not realize they were juvenile stoplights at the time) were large - 8" roughly minimum.

To your point, i don't recall seeing them in retail at all - which might have been part of the initial appeal. To be completely honest, when i first saw then i thought they were Quoyis (which we see frequently in the trade), but realized later after looking at pics, that they weren't.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your feedback here. Thinking back, the fish with the amazing colors were large (12-15"). I recall even the red/brown "juveniles" (i did not realize they were juvenile stoplights at the time) were large - 8" roughly minimum.

To your point, i don't recall seeing them in retail at all - which might have been part of the initial appeal. To be completely honest, when i first saw then i thought they were Quoyis (which we see frequently in the trade), but realized later after looking at pics, that they weren't.
They are beautiful but even the Quoyi is one of the smaller Parrots and they’re not shy to get 15”. The Stoplight Parrots are larger and although generally they only get 18” they do have potential to get 2’.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
They are beautiful but even the Quoyi is one of the smaller Parrots and they’re not shy to get 15”. The Stoplight Parrots are larger and although generally they only get 18” they do have potential to get 2’.
saw one at SeaWorld a few years ago and I believe it was a Spotlight and it was definitely over 2 feet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back