Are Stoplight cardinals that delicate?

painter1982

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 19, 2025
Messages
1,287
Reaction score
1,092
Location
82716
What state or country do you live in
Wyoming
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 5 Red Stoplight Cardinals from Dr. Reefs quarantined fish with the 14 day guarantee. They sent me 6. That was nice of them. One was doa. The other 5 died within 24 hours. The box didn’t have a heater in it. I live in Wyoming and the day I got them was snowing and cold. The water temp was 58 degrees. I floated the fish, crabs and snail for 30 minutes and put them in. Crabs and snail still going. But the fish didn’t make it. Are the red stoplight cardinals that delicate? I didn’t ask dr. Reef to warranty them as I figured it was probably the shipper leaving them in a cold environment when the box clearly states live fish. I’ll probably be more cautious on time of year ordering fish though.
 
Last edited:
Reef fish in general don't tolerate temperatures that cold for long, cardinals are not unique in that regard. I find most reef fish tolerate down to regular room temperatures fine (70-74F) but lower than 66-68 I notice lethargy and other issues, like loss of equilibrium, if prolonged. My guess would be some sort of temperature-related stress that they couldn't recover from.

If you ask me, that's on Dr Reef for not including a heat pack. Rookie mistake to not check the temperature of the location they are headed to.
 
Agreed, you definately want to file a warranty claim. Whether it was shipping related or not, the vendor is still responsible.
I already disposed of the fish. I didn’t take any pictures either. I do agree they should’ve had a heater in the box.
 
Anyone have Red stoplight Cardinals? I wanted to have a group of them but after this ordeal with the ones I ordered from Dr. Reef’s I don’t know if they are fragile or not??
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new