South Texas?

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, new member here from Katy.
Just made an account to say hi and keep the SWT action going.
I'm currently cycling a Fluval Evo 13.5 and tomorrow I'm picking up a coralife biocube 32 from T&T :)

OP
OP
taintstick

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I used to live in Katy off Westgreen and Kingsland Blvd. Also lived in Fulshear and the Galo area. Have been to one store there off 99 and highland knolls I believe and it was a nice clean store!! Nice people too!
You have Chris with Unlimited Coral Colors that's around mid Houston.Great guy!! Keep an eye out for the 2nd Brew Frag Fest that is in the making I believe for December!

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I used to live in Katy off Westgreen and Kingsland Blvd. Also lived in Fulshear and the Galo area. Have been to one store there off 99 and highland knolls I believe and it was a nice clean store!! Nice people too!
You have Chris with Unlimited Coral Colors that's around mid Houston.Great guy!! Keep an eye out for the 2nd Brew Frag Fest that is in the making I believe for December!
Thanks for the welcome.
I went to the store you're talking about on 99 (cinco ranch aquarium) and was highly unimpressed. I asked for live rock and they said all they had was in their display tanks and the store was incredibly cramped. I said "no thanks" and went to T&T Fish and Reef (on highway 6). They had multiple types of live rock in ample quantities. I haven't ventured as far as mid houston yet, but im sure I will once I start stocking. Thanks for the heads up :D

OP
OP
taintstick

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome.
I went to the store you're talking about on 99 (cinco ranch aquarium) and was highly unimpressed. I asked for live rock and they said all they had was in their display tanks and the store was incredibly cramped. I said "no thanks" and went to T&T Fish and Reef (on highway 6). They had multiple types of live rock in ample quantities. I haven't ventured as far as mid houston yet, but im sure I will once I start stocking. Thanks for the heads up :D

Man!! It's been some time since I have been there, things most likely changed as some people get lazy. What I've noticed from many LFS' around tend to do. Such a shame!! Lol anytime, definitely look up Chris, his corals are all super hearty and healthy.
I'll have to check out that store on 6 next time I'm in town!!

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man!! It's been some time since I have been there, things most likely changed as some people get lazy. What I've noticed from many LFS' around tend to do. Such a shame!! Lol anytime, definitely look up Chris, his corals are all super hearty and healthy.
I'll have to check out that store on 6 next time I'm in town!!
Yeah, unfortunately, it seems they might be on the way to closing up shop. Their website redirects to some chinese website. I even told the guy about it when I visited 2 weeks ago. o_O

OP
OP
taintstick

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, unfortunately, it seems they might be on the way to closing up shop. Their website redirects to some chinese website. I even told the guy about it when I visited 2 weeks ago. o_O

That is sad! And to be in one of the richest parts of Katy... oh well, someone better may come along

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is sad! And to be in one of the richest parts of Katy... oh well, someone better may come along
It is indeed, and I hope you're right.
On a brighter note:
I showed my boss the 32G Biocube I bought and some pictures of what I plan to do with it. He was instantly hooked and asked me to turn a WALL in the office into a 200 gallon reef tank. :eek:
Its going to be open view on either side and really expensive. He doesn't care about the expensive part, luckily. He wants it done right.
I have 96" x 28" to work with.
We're looking at the rimless tanks at glasscages.com.
Being that i've never had larger than a 30gal aquarium, this will be a learning experience for sure. Hopefully I don't get fired. :D

OP
OP
taintstick

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is indeed, and I hope you're right.
On a brighter note:
I showed my boss the 32G Biocube I bought and some pictures of what I plan to do with it. He was instantly hooked and asked me to turn a WALL in the office into a 200 gallon reef tank. :eek:
Its going to be open view on either side and really expensive. He doesn't care about the expensive part, luckily. He wants it done right.
I have 96" x 28" to work with.
We're looking at the rimless tanks at glasscages.com.
Being that i've never had larger than a 30gal aquarium, this will be a learning experience for sure. Hopefully I don't get fired. :D

That is awesome!! I wish my boss was like, help me set up a few hundred gallon tank and stock it, no budget lol hope the build has started for you!

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I thought it was too hah.
I am still in the information gathering phase of the build. We might be going with and L shape and larger than 200 gal.

OP
OP
taintstick

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I thought it was too hah.
I am still in the information gathering phase of the build. We might be going with and L shape and larger than 200 gal.

Yessss!!! Go bigger lol talk him into it! I'd be like, "you know boss, why not just tear the wall down and make an aquarium as the wall.....yes..???" Lol

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha... its pretty easy to talk him into buying cool things. I've done it before, great boss ;)

OP
OP
taintstick

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish my boss was like that, but dads are cheap lol [emoji23]

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol
Now we're looking at 350+ gallon L-shape aquariums. He wants to go all big/aggressive fish.

Other cool things i've talked him into buying lately:
• 3D printer
• 4k drone

I might do a nice 3d printed company logo to put in the tank ;)

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back